Laura, Pet Scribbles
Laura, Pet Scribbles
  • Little Egg Harbor, NJ

Marigolds in the Vegetable Garden? Yes and Here's Why!

We’re trying something new this year: planting marigolds in the vegetable garden. I’ve read about the benefits of marigolds in several gardening books, and am hopeful our little experiment works!
marigolds in the vegetable garden yes and here s why, flowers, gardening
Marigolds help to repel bugs, especially mosquitoes and gnats.
Marigolds can keep pesky rabbits out of your garden.
marigolds in the vegetable garden yes and here s why, flowers, gardening, Marigolds and Pumpkins newly planted
Marigolds and Pumpkins – newly planted
Marigolds will keep moles out of your garden, as they dislike the taste of the roots.
Marigolds draw beneficial insects (bees, etc.) into the garden to pollinate the vegetable flowers.
marigolds in the vegetable garden yes and here s why, flowers, gardening, Yellow Marigold just starting to open
Yellow Marigold, just starting to open
Marigolds draw beneficial insects that will eat up some of the bad bugs you don’t want on your vegetables.
marigolds in the vegetable garden yes and here s why, flowers, gardening, Marigolds and Corn newly planted
Marigolds and Corn – newly planted
Marigolds won’t crowd your veggies as they grow. Marigolds are good neighbors.
One note of caution: Marigolds attract spider mites. We don’t like to use any chemicals on or around our veggies, so any treatment has to be natural and organic. Simply taking a hose to the marigolds will knock the spider mites off, no problem.
Laura, Pet Scribbles

1 question on this project
  • Jga5475671
    Apr 06, 2016

Do marigolds not attract slugs that will eat garden plants?

• Not sure about attracting slugs, but I just read a couple of great articles about using dried, crushed up egg shells (rinse first) and scatter around your plants. Snails and slugs apparently equate this to our walking on glass. You can also use epsom salt (great for plants apparently). Sprinkle that around plants and water. Slugs do not like that either. Wish I would've read about those last year!

• Tina Ari
    Sep 15, 2014

My grandmother always planted marigolds, and I remember helping her "harvest" the seed pods and saving them in a paper bag in the winter and then planting them in spring! Great memory, and now I know the reasoning behind her planting them near her veggie garden :)

• Jolene
    May 08, 2016

A cheap easy way to keep away spider nights is cedar wood just a little block in every corner and they won't come near