Marigolds in the Vegetable Garden? Yes and Here's Why!

25K Views
We’re trying something new this year: planting marigolds in the vegetable garden. I’ve read about the benefits of marigolds in several gardening books, and am hopeful our little experiment works!
  • marigolds in the vegetable garden yes and here s why, flowers, gardening
Marigolds help to repel bugs, especially mosquitoes and gnats.
Marigolds can keep pesky rabbits out of your garden.
Marigolds will keep moles out of your garden, as they dislike the taste of the roots.
Marigolds draw beneficial insects (bees, etc.) into the garden to pollinate the vegetable flowers.
Marigolds draw beneficial insects that will eat up some of the bad bugs you don’t want on your vegetables.
Marigolds won’t crowd your veggies as they grow. Marigolds are good neighbors.
One note of caution: Marigolds attract spider mites. We don’t like to use any chemicals on or around our veggies, so any treatment has to be natural and organic. Simply taking a hose to the marigolds will knock the spider mites off, no problem.

Suggested materials for this project:

Laura, Pet Scribbles

Want more details about this project and other DIY projects? Check out my blog post!

• Carole
      Carole Australia

I planted some of these in our raised veg bed and they came back two years in a row. I think it must be that some of the seed pods dropped in the soil, so I was wrapped to see that they kept on giving without me having to plant new seedlings. When the veggies are all harvested there is still something to look at in the bed.

Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL

Here's hoping your experiment proves successful.