How do I keep mice away?

+10

we hv a barn, attached to the house by a large back hall. We are cleaning it out. I hv found nesting areas...I am removing pretty much anything that could be used as nesting material n putting other things in sealable containers. I heard peppermint was good. If so what's the best way? Is there anything else? TY

• Bearcat54 Bearcat54 on Nov 11, 2018

Get a cat

• Sarah Spencer Sarah Spencer on Nov 11, 2018

I use ultrasonic pest repellents that you plug into an electric outlet. I had mice in the house even heard it chewing inside the walls. After plugging one of the things in every room, no more mice.

• Judith Watson Judith Watson on Nov 11, 2018

Cats are great for keeping mice away. Or set traps or poison, if you do not have any outdoor pets or children that would get into the poison. Mice carry diseases and multiply fast. Personally I hate them!

• Janerose Janerose on Nov 16, 2018

the very reason I want to get rid of them...diseases etc. no poison, lots of neighborhood children

• Joann Joann on Nov 11, 2018

Try placing moth balls around interior perimeter

• Oliva Oliva on Nov 11, 2018

Push steel wool into openings, then seal with foam. Tightness of seal and strength of container will dictate whether or not mice can squeeze inside.

• Linda Linda on Nov 11, 2018

Cats in your barn will do you a great service! They don't have to be inside your home. Just the smell of a cat should keep the mice away.

• Lynn Sorrell Lynn Sorrell on Nov 11, 2018

Not all cats catch & kill mice,& just because you have cats doesn't mean mice will stay away.Mice eat cat food & cat feces if they are hungry enuf.Go to local shelters and inquire about barn cat programs.Help yourself and animals in need. They'll(usually have to have to get 2 together) come fixed,shots,usually have to have certain requirements to be good mousers/pest control. Yes to the pepermint oil really strong is best,Camphor oil. If you mix cocoa with plaster of paris they'll eat it and die after they drink water(seems cruel)and then you won't know where to find carcasses. Live traps,Here's good low cost https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5utTFxUs4Q0 OR THIS IS GREAT IDEA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChpMSrBbn3I

• I have no kill traps. I will not kill anything unless absolutely necessary. Cute little buggers but can be extremely destructive. Get an exterminator inspection and plug up all holes. A mouse can fit through a crack or hole the size of a dime. Rats a quarter. I have a rat that keeps trying to take up residence in my gas grill. Moved him again today. I know it is the same one because I painted his back feet with nail polish. I have cats and they are the laziest cats on the planet. My doberman / terrier is the best rodent finder.