How do I get rid of the smell of dog urine in my carpet?

+5
  • Have the carpets professionally cleaned. I have mine done every 3 months, but I have a lot of animals.

• Pamela Pamela on Nov 12, 2018

Get an enzyme cleaner/spray , most pet stores carry it. It should help.

• Betsy Betsy on Nov 12, 2018

Hi Chelsea: Those dogs:) I had carpeting pulled up after 40 years only to find that the cats used one corner as a potty! Talk about stink:( For some reason I couldn't smell it until I pulled the carpet up:/ I got a product called OdorMute. Sometimes Pet Supplies Plus carries it and some Walmart's, or you can get it on-line. It's a granule and you mix it with warm water. I sprayed the area from the top and from the bottom, going into the basement to do that. I used a goodly amount, but not soaking the wood so it would swell. I left it for a day, resprayed and the smell is gone. This stuff is amazing, you can wash the pets in it if they get sprayed by skunks, wash your clothes and just everything. Cats peed on my son's baseball pants. He hid them in a plastic bag and I found them several years later. I put them in a pail of water with the OdorMute and they came out smell free and really white. It should work on your floor, it works on everything. And, it's earth friendly, has no odor of it's own, and made in the USA! You need something that is an enzyme eater, that's what makes the smell, the enzymes, and this stuff has that! Spray your carpet and let dry. I highly recommend this product! :) Good luck

• Joy30150932 Joy30150932 on Nov 13, 2018

Here is a response I found in Consumers Reports: Blot the urine with one part white vinegar and one part water to neutralize the uric acid. Then mix a teaspoon of clear, mild nonbleach laundry detergent into 4 cups of water and apply to the stain. Rinse with water, then press with a clean cloth over the area to absorb the water. Repeat if necessary.

• Rebecca A Varner Rebecca A Varner on Nov 13, 2018

I use plain white vinegar on my pet stains. Add a little water if you don't like the smell of vinger.

• Rosy Rosy on Nov 14, 2018

Whaat ever cleaning solution you choose remember thar the ofor also permeates the pad under the carpet snand and the floor. Pull up carpet and clean all underneath otherwise the odor and stain will come back

• Rosy Rosy on Nov 14, 2018

Oops sorry about typos

• Michelle Leslie Michelle Leslie on Jul 09, 2020

Hi Chelsea, so sorry to hear that. It's a common problem. Mix ¼ cup of baking soda with 1 cup water, 1/3 cup distilled white vinegar, and about 1/4 cup of mild dish soap. Put the solution in a spray bottle a mix thoroughly before spraying it on the stain. Rub it in lightly with a clean cloth and let it stand for about 20 minutes. Rinse the solution away with a damp cloth and let it dry thoroughly. Be sure to test the mixture first on a spot to make sure it won’t discolor or damage your carpet.