DIY Christmas Beach Ball Ornaments

$10

I saw these DIY Christmas balls made from beach balls online and thought they looked easy to make (and they were, thanks to the tutorial). But first I had to go to 1 Target and 2 different Walmarts to find beach balls. I live in FLORIDA people. You’d think every Walmart and Target in this area would have beach balls year round. But, nope! The 2nd Walmart I visited did the trick. I bought 4 balls.

Next I had to find some medium sized food containers to use for the tops. I had some in the fridge so I emptied them into tupperwear and cleaned them out. I had wire coat hangers in the closet to use for the hooks. 

For the other materials, I went to Home Depot and bought the silicone glue the tutorial said to by, and this awesome metallic spray paint that I’ve been spraying every  empty wine bottle I come across (or maybe drank).

I bent the coat hangers into a U-shape and stuck them into the sides of the food containers, then spray painted them. 

Once the coat hangers are inserted into the container you will need to bend the coat hangers up a bit inside of the container to make them stay.

Next, I glued the food containers to the tops of my balls using the silicone glue (waited for the glue to dry overnight) then my husband helped me hang them in the tree. 

The silicone glue did not hold after a rather windy night so I ended up using Gorilla Glue instead and that did the trick!

I made these balls over 2 years ago and they have lasted! Even after we stored them in our garage attic. I had to re-glue a few of them but overall they have kept up well.

Hope you liked my oversized ornament. Please check out my blog for a more detailed description.

The House house

• Patty

All the beach balls I found were you know typical red, yellow and blue. Do you think these would last the outdoors if you spray painted them in Christmas colors?

• Shelly Jones

You could ask a paint specialist at your local paint store

• Suzy Googoo

Yes. Just spray them with paint made for plastic. Certainly a much cheaper alternative than buying these in the stores. I’ve seen them for $100 a pop. It depends on whether you have severe weather conditions. The plastic paint in colder climates typically lasts about 5 years before it dulls, if you clean the surface before you paint.

• The House house

Also, it looks like Hometalk included a link to red beach balls found on amazon at the bottom of this post.

• Lauren Totty

Lol CUTE. Might just do a few this year. Got a quickie Turkey day deco?

• The House house

thanks! I don't have any quick turkey day projects....yet! I will let you know if I come up with something though. :-)

• Countess Cool Grandma

What about if you live in the States where it's cold, snow and ice. Do you think they would hold up.

• Suzy Googoo

Yes. The ones I made for my sister held up for 5 years and she just applied another quick coat of plastic paint.

• Kathy Haines Cramer

This may be a dumb question, but you deflate them when they are stored, correct? Do the tops still stay glued on? It's not a problem, really to re-glue them I bet.

• Krazy K

You can't/shouldn't deflate the balls. Just hang them for storage...

• The House house

I did not deflate them before storing them in out attic, and they had plenty of air the next Christmas.

• Kathy Haines Cramer

Thank you for your answer. I don't have the storage space to keep them inflated. :)

• Jeanne Martin

I don’t think these are those cheap vinyl blow up beach balls, are they? These look like those large balls they display in big cages. They are not made to deflate like the cheap ones. They should have an auto-close airhole where you can add air (with a bicycle tire pump or similar) if they start losing air over time.

• Jeanne Martin

Oh, they are really cute!

• Lisa baker

Very cute, im doing it with reg size play balls to save space and $$

• Stephie McCarthy

Sweet! And also thanks for the name of that brilliant metal effects paint … it's just what I need for a faux-mirror effect I'm working on the back of a door.

´*•.¸ Stephie ¸.•*´

• Chris

Could the plastic balls be spray painted a metallic color??

• Abigail Ellis

I would assume as long as you are using a spray paint that is good for plastic, you could totally do that!

• Stephie McCarthy

´*•.¸ Stephie ¸.•*´

• Cherie

These are so cute and I love the fact they are super large! May do this next year!