Slip Free Stairs

$200

I hate carpet! So I ripped it up and installed Pergo laminate (LOVE!!). But what about the stairs? Installing laminate would have cost over $1000 (no thanks!) So I combined home-talkers ideas with a few of my own, and viola! Slip free, custom stairs.

Cut up old wood blinds for risers

First, carpet had to go. I had also replaced the old wood-look blinds. I measured riser height and while watching true crime tv (an addiction) I cut up old blinds with heavy duty shears for risers.

Measure and cut stair treads to fit.

I glued the cut pieces of wood blinds to the risers. I found slip free vinyl stair treads that I liked online, and measured and cut to fit.

Gorilla glue on back of treads.

Glue treads to stairs.

It was slow going until everything was cut, then install was pretty fast. I used nails on underside of treads since the glue didn't always grab as well as I wanted.

Almost done.

One set down, one to go.

Added quarter round for looks.

I bought vinyl quarter round since it is easy to work with and didn't need paint. I used a cheap little miter saw/box to cut quarter round to fit - this wasn't necessary but I liked the finished look.

Voila.

S

15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors

• Lyn

This is a good idea, but I'm assuming there are ridges in the black treads? This is the dirtiest part of my house because of the garage entrance at the top of the stairs. I'm getting older and want a way to keep from slipping down the stairs (again), but I don't want to dig dirt out of ridges either. Do these come in a non-ridged version?

• Sue

This ridges are what keep you from slipping so don't think you would want smooth treads but maybe a stiff door mat would get most of the dirt off the shoes before you go in the house? When it comes time to clean the treads I would just sweep each tread to one side then use a car vac to clean it up. Hope you don't have a LOT of stairs to need to tread?

• Don21767867

Love the look of these stairs!

What is another "cheap" alternative to use for the stair for the risers, if you don't have any wood blinds laying around to cut up?

How do you use nails on the under side of the tread?

Thanks for sharing, the stairs look great!

• Brenda Raymond

I read in Yankee magazine to use paper bags ripped up with watered down elmers glue VERY affordable looks great and can be stained if you like Finish with water baste polyurethane I tried it and LOVE it

• Kristina Globosky

LOVE THE LOOK. WOULD WAYNE'S COTTING WORK INSTEAD OF WOODEN BLINDS?