Slip Free Stairs

$200

I hate carpet! So I ripped it up and installed Pergo laminate (LOVE!!). But what about the stairs? Installing laminate would have cost over $1000 (no thanks!) So I combined home-talkers ideas with a few of my own, and viola! Slip free, custom stairs.

Cut up old wood blinds for risers
Cut up old wood blinds for risers

First, carpet had to go. I had also replaced the old wood-look blinds. I measured riser height and while watching true crime tv (an addiction) I cut up old blinds with heavy duty shears for risers.

Measure and cut stair treads to fit.
Measure and cut stair treads to fit.

I glued the cut pieces of wood blinds to the risers. I found slip free vinyl stair treads that I liked online, and measured and cut to fit.

Gorilla glue on back of treads.
Gorilla glue on back of treads.

Glue treads to stairs.

slip free stairs

It was slow going until everything was cut, then install was pretty fast. I used nails on underside of treads since the glue didn't always grab as well as I wanted.

Almost done.
Almost done.

One set down, one to go.

Added quarter round for looks.
Added quarter round for looks.

I bought vinyl quarter round since it is easy to work with and didn't need paint. I used a cheap little miter saw/box to cut quarter round to fit - this wasn't necessary but I liked the finished look.

Voila.
Voila.

S

• Lorrie Ellis

Wouldn't the black be hard to clean? We have non-skid strips on the edge of our steps and they have ridges that are really hard to clean.

• Jill Ron Pike
      3 hours ago

There are so many color and texture variations in vinyl stair treads that black isn't the only color option. Same with the ridge designs. Pick what you prefer...there are even wood-look ones

• Laura Phillips

Can you tell us where you got the vinyl? The only ones I can find look very industrial and have the ribbing that prevents slippage.

• Laurie Collins

Where did you use the blind slats? At the back of the stairs? Wasn’t sure..... still am not!