Slip Free Stairs

$200

I hate carpet! So I ripped it up and installed Pergo laminate (LOVE!!). But what about the stairs? Installing laminate would have cost over $1000 (no thanks!) So I combined home-talkers ideas with a few of my own, and viola! Slip free, custom stairs.

Cut up old wood blinds for risers

First, carpet had to go. I had also replaced the old wood-look blinds. I measured riser height and while watching true crime tv (an addiction) I cut up old blinds with heavy duty shears for risers.

Measure and cut stair treads to fit.

I glued the cut pieces of wood blinds to the risers. I found slip free vinyl stair treads that I liked online, and measured and cut to fit.

Gorilla glue on back of treads.

Glue treads to stairs.

It was slow going until everything was cut, then install was pretty fast. I used nails on underside of treads since the glue didn't always grab as well as I wanted.

Almost done.

One set down, one to go.

Added quarter round for looks.

I bought vinyl quarter round since it is easy to work with and didn't need paint. I used a cheap little miter saw/box to cut quarter round to fit - this wasn't necessary but I liked the finished look.

Voila.

S

• Gina

I have a set of back stairs that I pulled the carpet off of due to too many years of cats and dogs doing their damage, and determined NOT to lay more carpet, but really don't want to spend the $ it takes to have new wood steps installed. This may be the perfect solution! I just stumbled across your post and feel so lucky I did. I am hoping it's not too difficult to install the vinyl treads....any feedback on your experience with it would be greatly appreciated. I can cut it to size? Then just glue it down?

• Lyn

This is a good idea, but I'm assuming there are ridges in the black treads? This is the dirtiest part of my house because of the garage entrance at the top of the stairs. I'm getting older and want a way to keep from slipping down the stairs (again), but I don't want to dig dirt out of ridges either. Do these come in a non-ridged version?

• Don21767867
    Just now

Love the look of these stairs!

What is another "cheap" alternative to use for the stair for the risers, if you don't have any wood blinds laying around to cut up?

How do you use nails on the under side of the tread?

Thanks for sharing, the stairs look great!

• Ginger Breckenridge

I will be doing this to my stairs! What did you use for the landing at the top of the first set up stairs?

• Tammy

Love this idea! Would also love to know about the landing and what you did? I have older home and two landings.