Wooden Bench Upcycle

$10
1 Day

I got this wooden bench from a thrift store but it didn't match my home's colors. I knew it was time to upcycle it using a wood grain tool and a stencil.

You can see more of my crazy creations here

wooden bench upcycle

Here is the original bench. It's color was a taupe color and it just didn't match my home's colors.

wooden bench upcycle

I painted the legs with Apple Barrel Brown acrylic paint.

wooden bench upcycle

I painted the top and side of the bench with Apple Barrel Warm Buff paint and let that dry completely.

wooden bench upcycle

I made a mixture of the Apple Barrel Brown with water to create a glaze. I painted this on the top of the bench.

wooden bench upcycle

I used a wood grain tool to create a wood grain effect on the top. I rocked the tool back and forth to create the textured look as I dragged it along the top of the bench.

wooden bench upcycle

I did the same thing to the sides of the seat of the bench as well.

wooden bench upcycle

I let this all dry completely.

wooden bench upcycle

I place my Plaid Woodland Stencil of a Moose onto my bench and held it secure with painters tape.

I used Apple Barrel White with a little Apple Barrel Warm Buff mixed in to get the stencil color I wanted.

I used My Plaid stencil brush, dipped the brush in the paint and then pounced the brush to unload as as much paint as possible to be ready to stencil. I then pounced the my stencil brush onto the bench and stencil.

wooden bench upcycle

I carefully lifted the stencil off and let the moose dry completely.

wooden bench upcycle

Here is the completed bench. I'm so happy with the way it turned out.

I would love to have you stop by my blog   Chas' Crazy Creations  for the full tutorial as well as sign up for my latest creations, posts, recipes, exclusives, and more...

I would love for you to subscribe to my YouTube channel to see more of my crazy creations - https://www.youtube.com/c/chascrazycreations

Chas' Crazy Creations

• Vicki

Wonderful tutorial. Very Nice Job

Are you going to have to seal it, for leave it organic?

• Jixyrocker711

Wow! That turned out great! I love how you achieved the wood grain effect! I’ve seen the wood grain tool used before but haven’t tried it yet. Is it something you should practice with first?

• Chas' Crazy Creations

Thank you so much. It is quite easy to use and I will admit to giving it a practice run just to get use to the rocking motion. I even just practiced on a piece of butcher paper, nothing major. The "glaze" is the secret - it's so forgiving so if you make a mistake or don't like something, just paint on more glaze and try again. The glaze slows down the drying time giving you more time to work with it.

• Melody Boling Medlock

Where can I get a wood grain tool?