How do I find the cause of this damage in my kitchen?

+8

Please can anyone tell me what has caused this in my kitchen ?

q please can anyone tell me what has caused this in my kitchen
  • Karen Brunck Karen Brunck on Nov 13, 2018

It appears to be water damage.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Nov 13, 2018

Hello Clare,

do you have any photos from further away so it would be possible to see exactly were the is? aT THE MOMENT IT LOOKS LIKE A CAKE MIX and difficult to see.(Floor - Wall - Worktop)

What is the surface underneath this? Could be Rodents nest or a form of Rot etc.

• Clare Clare on Nov 14, 2018

Hi that wasfunny you saying a cake mix .made my day .!!! Its actually cement i found all crumbled up .

• Deanna Nassar Deanna Nassar on Nov 13, 2018

Location would help. First thought was rats/mice but then water damage from a leaky pipe. Could also be a place where crumbs and such have gathered and caused rot to set in when some water spilled in area. Is there a smell of rot? any evidence of rat feces? When was last termite inspection? If area stays in dark and damp a lot could cause termites to move in. With the heavy rains of recent month ants/termites and other bugs sometimes look for better place. Our apt in VA recently had some termites tunnel into wall.

• Ana Bacallao Ana Bacallao on Nov 13, 2018

It is hard to understand what we are looking at. Is this the inside of a cabinet?

• Linda Kidd Linda Kidd on Nov 13, 2018

Looks like water damage but cant tell what this is.

• Beverly Beverly on Nov 13, 2018

Call a contractor

• Looks like water damage and/or poor maintenance. Get a contractor out to know for sure. Here is how to hire a contractor.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0242-hiring-contractor

• Linda Linda on Nov 15, 2018

Call a plumber

• Diane Diane on Dec 01, 2018

Please get help for it as soon as possible before it turns into black mold. It'll make you very sick, and has been known to cause death. Good luck.