Michelle James
Michelle James
  • Emmetsburg, IA

Grinch Inspired Wood Stocking Hanger

$25

I don't have a fireplace in my home so I have been hanging the stockings...with care...from the staircase railing. They looked nice but they were not in the room with the tree and I just wanted something I could hang them from. I decided to make a wood stocking hanger with a Grinch theme.

The estimated cost of this project is assuming you already own a cutting machine. I had most of the materials already and

grinch inspired wood stocking hanger

Start with a piece of 1 x 8 pine. Cut it to 3.5' and sand it smooth. Paint it gray.

I had some scraps of masonite that measured 11" x 3.5" so I sanded them and cut them with a band saw to create an arrow shaped sign. If you don't have a band saw a sturdy piece of cardboard cut to the correct shape would work too.

I painted these black then white. This is a system I use when I want to distress the final piece and I want the black to show through instead of the color of the wood.

grinch inspired wood stocking hanger
grinch inspired wood stocking hanger

While paint is drying I started cutting out my Grinch hand and the two words "Whoville" and "Mt. Crumpit". I found a font called "Grinched" on dafont.com which was perfect for this project.

The (affiliate link) Grinch hand SVG cut file is from Etsy. I purchased it for $2. The design includes an ornament that he is holding but I removed that in the Silhouette design program.

The SVG file came layered so I was able to cut each piece with the correct colored vinyl all at the same time. You can see the cut lines in the photo below.

grinch inspired wood stocking hanger
grinch inspired wood stocking hanger
grinch inspired wood stocking hanger

Place the transfer tape over the cut design. Remove the vinyl backing. The transfer tape holds the design together so you can place it onto your project with perfect results! I love this stuff.

grinch inspired wood stocking hanger
grinch inspired wood stocking hanger
grinch inspired wood stocking hanger

I was able to use the transfer tape to perfectly align each color onto the black background of the Grinches hand.

grinch inspired wood stocking hanger

Now we can place all of these pieces onto the wood piece we painted earlier.

grinch inspired wood stocking hanger

Be sure to measure and place your hooks evenly but also so that it looks like one of the stockings is being stolen by the Grinch. Use hot glue to add the signs.

grinch inspired wood stocking hanger

It came out so cute and I cannot wait to hang it up. I, of course, staged it and took some photos. I love it.

grinch inspired wood stocking hanger

What do you think? Isn't it just too fun?

grinch inspired wood stocking hanger
grinch inspired wood stocking hanger

If you like this project you will probably like all of my other projects. Sign up for my email/newsletter and receive them weekly into your inbox!

Thanks for reading,

Michelle

• 1 x 8 Pine Board  (Menards)
  • Masonite Pieces  (Menards)
  • Gray Paint  (Hardware Store)
Michelle James