From Tv Armoire to Built in Kitchen Banquette!

My tv armoire was beat up, outdated and just too big for my space. I’d tried selling it on Craigslist with no bites. As I was planning out a project for a bench in my kitchen I realized that with some cuts, my tv armoire would make the perfect bench, and then some!
My tv armoire had plenty of bumps and scrapes to show its’ age. It wasn’t the best quality piece by any standard, being about 70% particleboard. Just the base was solid wood.
With some help from my brother (and his tools!) we cut the top off the base. That gave me a 15 inch high bench. With the addition of 3 inches of foam I’d end up with a perfect bench for table height.
The top that was cut off did not go to waste. I made a doll house for my daughters’ 18 inch dolls. Nothing was thrown away and I scored some “mom brownie points.”
I made sure that the bench would fit it its’ new home. Then the work began...
I primed, painted,
and added hardware that matched my entire kitchen.
I then built a back to create the banquette park of the bench. I wanted a tall back that would be upholstered with fabric.
Using foam and a Target Threshold tablecloth I upholstered the back and then mounted it to the wall.
The back was first attached to the bench and then mounted to the wall with a cleat.
I even added a (virtually invisible) plastic covering to the bench cushion. Something I swore I’d never do. Then I had kids...
It all came together perfectly. Now I just need a bigger table. On to the next project I think!

26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
These Amazing Vase Ideas Will Blow Your Guests Away!
No. 29 Design

• Nanette F

See photo description

, I have the same piece and while outdated all our stuff is hanging on walls now I still use it for bulk storage large blankets quilts mostly Love what u did but don t have the heart to cut down something I paid a small fortune for at the time lol Unfortunately can hardly give it away now How the decades change
  • Awesome idea! I have a beautiful Armoire that I've never been able to sell ~ love it but no time (or energy) to redo it. I think it would make a wonder portable bar (I saw Nate Burkus do that once) But, at my age, not a possibility. But this one is gorgeous!