How do I approach a fireplace hearth tile project?

+7

I have some ceramic tile I would like to place over the existing slate hearth. The tile I have will also cover a small portion of carpet as well. So do I have to cut away the carpet where the tile will lay? Can I simply adhere the tile to a plywood subfloor and and a finished edge to the project? And is it okay to lay the tile over the slate that presently makes up the hearth? Any guidance on how to approach this is much appreciated!

q how do i approach a fireplace hearth tile project
  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Nov 14, 2018

Hi Sheila

Is it an open Fire? If not, why not make a loose fit cover you can just put in place over the top of existing.

• Sheila Mills Carroll Sheila Mills Carroll on Nov 14, 2018

Hi John(?),

Yes it is an open fireplace. I like the sound of a loose cover even though I don’t know exactly what you mean by that. Are you saying to secure my tiles on plywood or something, make it look nice and just cover the slate?

• You need to take up the existing tile, then cut away the carpet, but I would not cut it back, I would just lift and roll it back until your tiling portion is complete so it will be easier to tack back down when tiling has cured. Make your cut then. Now place/secure your backer board, then tile and grout.

• 2dogal 2dogal on Nov 14, 2018

1.Yes - you will have to cut away the carpet! A must.

2.If you lay the tile over the slate, make sure the slate is FLAT - no bumps or the tile will not lay flat.

3.Yes, you can lay tile over subflooring. If it is flat.

• Lindy Lindy on Nov 14, 2018

I notice the slate is wider than the tile. What do you plan to do with that? Add another 2 tiles?

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Dec 04, 2018

Hello again,

Yes, You could also make a raised edge or use a guard to protect carpet.