DIY Christmas Craft Using Popsicle Sticks

$20

I was watching a Christmas movie the other day with my boys. It was ‘How to Train Your Dragon, Gift of the Night Fury’. The Christmas tree in the movie reminded me of popsicle sticks and I thought, Hey, that would be a cute DIY idea. So, I searched online and low and behold there were tons of popsicle stick Christmas trees that other people already made! Here I thought I was being original and all. Nope. Anyway, I thought, well I’m doing it anyway. Off I went with the kids to get supplies. And here is how I did it.

Below is the tree from the movie.

I used the following supplies,

• 3 foam cones (in green) in 3 different sizes, 6″, 9″, and 12″
  • crafts sticks in various sizes,  regular, jumbo, medium
  • glue for my glue gun (so glad I bought a new package of glue because I used a TON of it for this project).
  • a package of star fish

And I also had some scrap wood that I used for the bases.

I started by gluing on the scrap wood circles (shown above) to the bottoms of my cones. They made perfect tree bases! If you don't have scrap wood laying around you could use empty thread spools, or wooden blocks. Since the top of the cones had a flat edge I shaved it off a bit with a knife to make it more pointy.

Next, I glued a star fish to the top, then I started gluing the sticks using the various sizes all around the cone. Easy peasy. I started at the bottom on my first cone and made my way up to the top but found that it was easier and looked better when I started from the top and worked my way down. I just continued to layer the sticks until it looked good to me and you couldn’t see any green popping out from underneath. Here is the final outcome. I thought about painting the sticks green but I like the natural look. Seems more beachy to me and the star fish add to that look.

If you like this project. Visit my blog for lots more DIY tutorials.

The House house

• Lisa

What a great idea! There might be others who have done this, but yours is the first I've seen and I really like it! Thanks for posting :)