Saving an Old Nightstand!

$20

A client brought me this sad little nightstand, and asked me to work some magic! Requirements include black and white paint and some material decoupage accents.

saving an old nightstand

This little cutie...sadly not solid wood, and had previously been “mostly” spray painted.

saving an old nightstand

Sanding! Since this piece isn’t solid wood, just a light roughing up if the surface by hand will do. I used a 180 grit sandpaper and went over the whole piece.

saving an old nightstand

Base coat! I wanted to make sure I had a decent surface for the paint and decoupage so I gave it a coat of flat back spray paint. I just grab the cheap flat black from Home Depot for base coating.

saving an old nightstand

Chalk paint time! My client wants black and white. Oh the decisions on what to paint which color and where to decoupage. Here you can see where I started painting parts white. I feel like I should state that the client likes the holes in the back, so I left them.

saving an old nightstand

I decided to do a two tone top, so taping off the center was up next.

saving an old nightstand

More chalk paint...this time I broke out the black. Still contemplating exactly where the material accents will go...

saving an old nightstand

Measure, draw your lines, and cut! I decided to decoupage on one of the shelves...and drawer front?! Let’s see...

saving an old nightstand

Using a foam brush, I applied a thin layer of mod podge amd started laying the fabric. I suggest starting with a small area, and getting that section secure and smooth before moving on.

saving an old nightstand

To help keep the fabric secure, and offer a more pleasing finish...I added a strip of molding.

saving an old nightstand

After tacking the molding into place, I decided to paint it white. I sealed the whole piece with spray poly.

saving an old nightstand

I almost forgot the drawer! Chalk paint time for it. It took three coats...

saving an old nightstand

I decided to just cut an accent piece for the drawer front. Applied mod podge and sealed with spray poly. A cute new knob and...

saving an old nightstand

Done! How adorable did this turn out??

saving an old nightstand

I almost forgot to show the two tone top! I love some contrast in my projects. 😊

• Susan gibbs

What about the holes on the back wall of the cabinet? Why are they there and why did you leave them? For me they distract from all of your obvious hard work?

• Lynne

That way you can have electronics plugged in to an outlet! Beautiful phone charging station!

• Taf

Beautiful work. I love the finished piece. Will save this for future. Thank you for sharing.

• Heje
    Yesterday

I like the two toned effect as it gives the piece personality. I like how the fabric was repeated on the bottom drawer. Thank you for sharing.