Vinyl Peel and Stick Tiles in My Closet

$30

We needed a quick and easy way to give our storage closet floor a face lift. It's under the stairs, and we use it for a lot: my craft supplies, extra cleaning supplies, extra drinks and paper towels, the cat pans, and more. But when we moved in, they had left the floor unfinished concrete.

This drove me NUTS because it was impossible to keep clean. I felt like it was always dusty, and seeing as the cat pans

how to lay vinyl peel and stick flooring

Next I grabbed some square peel and stick tiles with a neutral-looking pattern. They make faux wood, but this space butts up against our engineered hardwood floors, so I didn't want it to clash—wanted it to be totally different and just look like a more polished concrete.

I laid the majority of the closet's floor without cutting any pieces, starting from the back corner. (As one helpful commenter pointed out, you should start in the center, but I'm not a professional at installing floors and just wanted to get this vinyl down in my tiny closet.) I started by peeling the backs off of each tile and laying them carefully onto the floor. Yes, that’s it, I peeled and stuck...my peel and stick tile :)

Once I had covered almost all of the floor, I had to figure out how to cut the smaller pieces to fit the sides. First I tried to use heavy duty scissors, but that was a huge failure. I ended up using a utility knife with a brand new single blade on it.

I measured, used a yard stick to draw a line on the tile, and kept the yard stick in place as I ran the utility knife along the line…over…and over…and over. I probably did it 20-25 times before I had cut about halfway through. At this point I was able to just snap the tile along the line and get a super clean edge. It worked perfectly!

I'm really pleased with how they turned out. This closet is now so easy to keep clean and dust free.

And it's very easy to sweep or vacuum up litter pellets when they fly out or clean up any little messes from a sick kitty. We have a special needs cat so that is important...her aim is sometimes not the best in the pan :)

And it just LOOKS GREAT!

What do you think, have you ever used vinyl peel and stick flooring? To learn more about my thoughts on this brand and some additional tips for installation, check out the original post linked below by my pic. If you fancy the paint storage you see in the pic above, check out my full closet makeover post, and if you're on Pinterest, head on over and follow me for more fun ideas!

Brittany @by Brittany Goldwyn

• Heje

Your idea has inspired me to use peel and stick on a little used area that needs a floor. Thank you for the idea. The paint storage looks like a very usable feature of the room.

• Bijous

Hi. Anybody who's ever laid flooring cringed at "...starting from the back corner". You got very lucky that your corner was fairly true. Nice choice of tile, though.

• Nice, thanks! I've never laid a real floor. Really this tutorial was meant to show people how nice budget vinyl peel-and-stick looks (I kind of cringed thinking about it before I actually saw the options).