Upcycled Packaging Gingerbread Garland

$5

Even though this is a gingerbread garland , unfortunately it's not the edible kind. A bit like the super cute gingerbread man advent calendar I made this year too!

I don't know about you, but as a family we get swamped with cardboard packaging this time of the year. Everyone seems to be doing most of their Christmas shopping on Amazon! I decided to reuse some of the Amazon boxes for a fun festive decoration.

upcycled packaging gingerbread garland

Any cardboard box will do as long as it is Kraft paper colour and not too thick.

upcycled packaging gingerbread garland

I have a template of various house designs on the blog (link at the end) which you can download and print out.

upcycled packaging gingerbread garland

First, print and cut out the gingerbread house template and use a craft knife to cut out the windows.

upcycled packaging gingerbread garland

Next place the template onto the cardboard and draw around it, including the windows.

upcycled packaging gingerbread garland

Next, using a craft knife cut out the gingerbread houses from the cardboard.

upcycled packaging gingerbread garland

Then simply using white paint , paint the designs on each house. The white paint is supposed to look like the icing on the gingerbread houses.

upcycled packaging gingerbread garland

Carry on making house until you have enough for your garland.

upcycled packaging gingerbread garland

I used those cheap but lovely copper string lights you can get for the garland. (like these ones)

upcycled packaging gingerbread garland

I simply used a hot glue gun to attach each house to the string of lights. I made sure that there was a light shining through each cut window on the garland.

upcycled packaging gingerbread garland

I then hung each house from some twine with those cute mini craft pegs you can get.

upcycled packaging gingerbread garland

This is such a fun happy decoration with the lights shining through the window. It has a slight Scandinavian feel about it, that might be because of the houses I have drawn. I think it would look great in a kids room and perhaps you could get them to help make it.

Claire at Pillarboxblue