Tomato Cage Christmas Tree

$8

When I found tomato cages on clearance at the end of the season for $1 each (for the good and sturdy ones!) I had to grab a few. I planned on giving a few to my dad to use in his garden, but when he said he had enough I ended up with a few extra. They sat around for quite awhile until I finally decided what I was going to do with one of them - a christmas tree for my porch!

Get the full tutorial here.

Start by turning your tomato cage upside down, so that the stakes are pointing up. If you plan to keep your tree on a delicate surface, make sure that you don't have any rough edges along the bottom.

Gather together all of your stake ends and take a zip tie (you could maybe use some twist ties, but my tomato cage is very sturdy and I needed a zip tie to hold it in place) and wrap it around all of your stakes and pull the zip tie nice and tight. Use a wire cutter to snip off the excess on the zip tie.

First, if you want a lit tree, add lights to your tomato cage. I started to wrap my deco mesh and then realized I forgot to attach the lights. Start at the bottom of your tomato cage and then find the plug in end of your lights. Attach the lights to the tomato cage with some twist ties, making sure to leave out enough of the end of the lights so that you can still plug it in. Wrap your set of lights around making sure they go all the way to the top so that the lights are even. You can use any amount of lights you want depending upon how bright you want it to be. Mine was about a 50 light set.

Then start at the bottom with your deco mesh and use a twist tie, twine or small pieces of pipe cleaner to hold it in place. I cut down some pipe cleaners and attached the deco mesh about every 10" or so. Leave it a little loose in between each tied area to make the tree look nice and full.

Continue wrapping up your entire tree until you have it as full as you would like it.

I got my deco mesh from the dollar store and used 5 of those rolls. Keep in mind that dollar store deco mesh rolls are smaller than what you would find at a craft store.

Then decorate your tree however you would like!

I had some fun beaded garland that some sprigs of color that I got on clearance last year and used those to decorate my tree. You could decorate it with a certain theme or even a specific color.

Then display your tree. I put mine on my front porch and just love how it twinkles at night.

Want more DIY holiday ideas? Head on over to CrazyDiyMom to get more fun and easy DIY crafts.

Jennifer | CrazyDiyMom

• Ann Baxter

very nice. How about painting the cage so it blends with the fabric more?

• Barb C

What is Decomesh? Is it getting that is sold like fabric? TY

• Jennifer | CrazyDiyMom

Yes, deco mesh is the netting type material that I placed around the tree. You can find it at any craft store, Wal-Mart and even the dollar store.

• Georgia

Love your tree! Did you secure the mesh to the frame as you went up or just at the bottom? Thank you.

• Jennifer | CrazyDiyMom

I attached them every little bit so it would stay in place. I store it every year so wanted to make sure it was pretty durable

• Necee Marie

Very cute!

• Phyllis

Its beautiful! I've done lights on my tomato cages and wrapped them with the green garlands from the dollar store, but yours is much more elegant. I'm doing this for sure this Christmas!