How to Make Your Pieces Pop

$50

Brushed by Brandy said this piece was intimidating as all heck. It was huge and boldly styled, those claw feet make a statement on their own. When I picked this up, my husband wasn't sure what I was thinking! I just look for things that are different, styles I haven’t done before, and well made. This thrift store find met those criteria, so I brought the set home.

I started by cleaning this piece well with Dixie Belle White Lightning. The original finish was fairly smooth, so I also gave it a coat of Dixie Belle Slick Stick, a gripping primer.

With a clean surface to start with, next was two coats of Dixie Belle Caviar, a nice, true, black. I got great coverage over the white primer in two coats of Caviar. I knew other than the gold leaf, this would be a simple finish underneath, so I sealed my paint with Dixie Belle Gator Hide. I did tint the Gator Hide with just a bit of Caviar paint to help prevent streaking over the dark black paint. Tinting clear coat is especially helpful over the darkest and lightest colors, whites, blacks, navy, etc.

We wanted a random look with the gold leaf. I started in an upper corner and carried it down in a diagonal using Mod Podge as my adhesive. Let it get a bit tacky, then lay the leaf, tearing the edges so it doesn't lay in a perfect square. The leaf needed more so I also used the Imperial Damask stencil by Redesign By Prima.

I replaced the two pulls I was missing with gold pulls from Hobby Lobby, added a gold drapery tassel, and this was ready to stage! One of my favorite pieces for how well it photographed.

My favorite custom orders are when a customer gives me a color and then sets me free. I can usually envision a piece from there. At first we were looking at black and copper, but that changed to gold.

• Caviar Chalk Mineral Paint  (https://dixiebellepaint.com/caviar-chalk-mineral-paint/)
  • Slick Stick  (https://dixiebellepaint.com/slick-stick-new-sizes/)
  • Gator Hide  (https://dixiebellepaint.com/gator-hide-new-size/)

3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
Dixie Belle Paint Company

• Naomi Avalos
    Naomi Avalos

Has anyone ever cut the bottom half of a hutch in half, put them back to back raise the now 1 piece to make n island? I hope i explained this good enough. I can't try right now because im post op from surgery, my husband thinks I'm wierd I know it can be done.

• Janet
      Janet

Same way you would do a dresser. If it is not high enough, you can add thick legs or like I did, put wheels. I used butcher block for the top.

• Lee
    Lee

This is stunning. A bit more gold down the black side may give a bit more balance but that’s just me. Anyway do you paint the modge podge only where you want it to go or tear the leaf away - or both?

• Suellen Hintz
      Suellen Hintz

Your idea is a great one. Of course this can be done. Men just have trouble following a woman’s mind.

• Cherie
    Cherie

LOVE this! It is fabulous! Why did you change from copper to gold? Copper would look fabulous as well. I love asymmetry and you totally nailed it!

• Bcfatbroad
    Bcfatbroad

I wish I could have found that beast of furniture..it is what I have been looking for as s kitchen island..Great job ,very nice

• Terry
    Terry

The total work you've done is totally awesome, just remarkable and beautiful as it is a win with a gold Rush!!