CribbsStyle
CribbsStyle
  • Mount Pleasant, SC

Built in Wall Cabinet Using Stock Kitchen Cabinets

$550
1 Week
Advanced

We wanted to add storage cabinets to our home office, but didn't have time to construct the cabinets from scratch. Instead we opted for stock unfinished kitchen cabinets from our local home improvement store and it was perfect.

built in wall cabinet using stock kitchen cabinets

We measured the space and found that we would need three cabinets,. We also found that because there are windows on one adjoining wall, we would need to use upper kitchen cabinets. First step was to remove the baseboards and we would use them later.

We wanted to give the cabinets a built in look so we built a platform to raise the cabinets and would allow us to reuse the molding we removed to install the cabinets against the wall.

We secured the base into the wall studs, sat the cabinets on top one by one securing the cabinets to the wall and to one another to make them one solid piece.

After everything was installed, we painted the cabinets, added hardware, and added a counter top. One part of the counter we added access to the wall outlet inside one of the cabinets.

The last step we re-Installed the molding, caulked and painted it to get the whole unit a more built in look. We added exposed shelving above. Not only do the built in cabinets provide style, but they are also very functional. For the full step by step tutorial, please visit my website. Search "Home Office: Built in wall cabinets" for more details.

CribbsStyle

• Hummingbird

Did you use 30" cabinets. With a narrow width on the countertop, I was concerned the 36" would look too wide? There are also 24" available. By the way, I lived in Mt Pleasant for 25 years before retiring back to FL. It was a beautiful place and always so much to do -- and lots that was free!

• CribbsStyle

These are 36” wide and we used three of them to fill the space. You can always use the size that you need and I’m sure the same instructions would apply. What a small world!! All of the activities was definitely what we love about Mt P!!

• Laurie T

I want to do this on either side of my fireplace. (We live in a 104 yr old farmhouse and our living room is rather long and narrow with a 12' stretch of windows on one wall. Do you think it would work?

• CribbsStyle

Absolutely!! I think that would be perfect and we are actually thinking about doing it in our living room too.

• Donna

very nice, what paint did you use? What size is the countertop?

• CribbsStyle

I used Valspar Reserve in Satin and the counter is 13inches wide and we did the length of the wall. We have about an inch hangover on the front.

• Jill Ron Pike

Ferdinand looks very happy

• Lori
    5 hours ago

This is great! I’ve wanted to do this for years. Told my husband about my idea but he didn’t think would work. Maybe when he sees this he will agree. A great pretty functional unit that doesn’t cost $$$$$$$ like the ready made ones I see! Thank you for sharing

• CribbsStyle
      32 minutes ago

Thank you so much for your kind words!! I am all about doing a project that doesn’t cost an arm and leg but has huge impact.