CribbsStyle
CribbsStyle
  • Mount Pleasant, SC

Built in Wall Cabinet Using Stock Kitchen Cabinets

$550
1 Week
Advanced

We wanted to add storage cabinets to our home office, but didn't have time to construct the cabinets from scratch. Instead we opted for stock unfinished kitchen cabinets from our local home improvement store and it was perfect.

built in wall cabinet using stock kitchen cabinets

We measured the space and found that we would need three cabinets,. We also found that because there are windows on one adjoining wall, we would need to use upper kitchen cabinets. First step was to remove the baseboards and we would use them later.

We wanted to give the cabinets a built in look so we built a platform to raise the cabinets and would allow us to reuse the molding we removed to install the cabinets against the wall.

We secured the base into the wall studs, sat the cabinets on top one by one securing the cabinets to the wall and to one another to make them one solid piece.

After everything was installed, we painted the cabinets, added hardware, and added a counter top. One part of the counter we added access to the wall outlet inside one of the cabinets.

The last step we re-Installed the molding, caulked and painted it to get the whole unit a more built in look. We added exposed shelving above. Not only do the built in cabinets provide style, but they are also very functional. For the full step by step tutorial, please visit my website. Search "Home Office: Built in wall cabinets" for more details.

CribbsStyle

• Rose M

Where did you fasten the cabinets to one another? My guess is the top ends but I cannot tell by zooming in on the picture.

• CribbsStyle

I screwed them in at the top and the bottom to one another and also screwed the cabinets into the wall.

• Rose M

This so great! How Did you fasten the cabinets to one another? When I zoom in I cannot tell if you screwed them together at the top sides. Thank you.

• CribbsStyle

I am so sorry, I answered this and it went away. The cabinets are secured together with screws atht top and bottom on the front and back and each cabinet is screwed to the wall.

• Mimi

Love the look! What size did you use for the base 2x4s? How tall are the cabinets including the base? I think I want mine taller. Since the cabinet is only 30x30x12

• Mimi

Thank you. So what do your cabinets measure from top to bottom. Trying to get a feel for how tall they will be.

• Jill Ron Pike

Ferdinand looks very happy

• Lori

This is great! I’ve wanted to do this for years. Told my husband about my idea but he didn’t think would work. Maybe when he sees this he will agree. A great pretty functional unit that doesn’t cost $$$$$$$ like the ready made ones I see! Thank you for sharing

• CribbsStyle

Thank you so much for your kind words!! I am all about doing a project that doesn’t cost an arm and leg but has huge impact.