Update Your Dining Room On A Budget

It's amazing how you can transform a room for $350!

By Kara Wurtzel

This $60 Craig's List find was just the thing

We wanted a bigger table, so when we found this on Craig's List, we were sold. We sanded it down, and painted the table.

IKEA and eBay save the day

These 8 chairs were $25 a piece, a steal! The placemats and decorations are from IKEA. Chandelier and clock - $90 on eBay!

Starting our pallet wall...

The room still felt like it needed something, so we got some free pallets and got started!

Accent wall, finished!

We used a nail gun to nail woods into the studs in the wall, and we're loving our new accent wall!

TA-DAA! Simple, bright & a modern, rustic mix

Our new dining room! I found a painting someone threw away and decided to hang it opposite the accent wall.

Step 1: Empty the room & paint!

It took a few coats to get rid of the green, but look at the difference!

Step 2: Chalk paint the buffet base

I love chalk paint - very little prep time, and the paint goes a long way. I prefer to thin it down a bit and apply an extra coat

Step 3: Paint the doors & drawers

I did not want a solid color. White was the best color to offset the grey and give the cabinet a light, clean and airy feel.

Step 4: Replace the hardware

Those doors were time consuming, but totally worth it! Look at that gorgeous two-toned look!

Step 5: Reattach the buffet

Look at this beauty!

Check out these girls, now!

I absolutely look complimentary fabrics and coloring. I'm loving how these chairs came out!

Installing a brick accent wall

BEFORE: I was ready for a Farmhouse style change and I wanted something easy to install. Enter think brick veneer!

Step 1: Attach brick to drywall

I used tile adhesive and let itset for 48 hours. I had to cut some of the bricks and used a wet tile saw.

Step 2: Apply grout

After the adhesive was set I applied the grout in between the bricks with a grout bag. I smoothed with my fingers.

BEFORE: Plain old IKEA cabinet

This piece was ready for a complete makeover!

Step 1: Find some wood!

We picked up some free reclaimed wood...

Step 3: Screw panels onto drawers

Using clamps and screws, we screwed the wood panels onto the front of the drawers.

Step 4: Stain the wood panels

Stained the panels to perfection using the golden oak stain from Minwax.

Wainscot Wall With a Picture Ledge

Here's another way how a quick DIY project can update your whole room!

Step 2: Add trim

I also added two more vertical pieces ( 1X4s) in the middle, using my trusted level for everything.

Step 3: Cut outs for outlets

Using a jig saw, I measured and cut holes for the outlet covers.

Step 4: Paint!

Painting the panel before I added any vertical pieces made everything go so much quicker!

Step 5: Add picture ledge

I decided to keep the ledge at 2 1/2" wide and it works perfectly.

Step 1: Choose your wood

We chose and underlayment from Home Depot and had them cut it there on the spot. Totally worth it!

Step 2: Nail the boards to the wall, & paint

Using a nail gun, we staggered the boards as we went, giving us a real shiplap look

AFTER: Our gorgeous new shiplap wall

We are so thrilled with our new dining room! Bright and airy, with that special Joanna Gaines touch!