A
A
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Vineland, NJ

Mid Century Modern LEGO Table

$50

I know, I know...this has been done before. I'm posting this because it's the first time I have done one. Humor me. I vowed to make one of these for my grandson because he his SO into Legos.

mid century modern lego table

This is the table I began with. To be honest, I struggled with the project because I really, really love this table. That said, I only paid $15 for it and I needed to focus on the task at hand. KRUD Kutter and a rag was the only prep work needed.

mid century modern lego table

Turning the table over, I gave the lower surfaces two coats of chalk paint.

mid century modern lego table

After drying completely, I turned it right side up and and painted the remaining surfaces.

mid century modern lego table

Using a very thick, heavy duty adhesive, I began applying the Lego plates.

mid century modern lego table

The top plate fit perfectly, so it was very easy to install.

mid century modern lego table

The lower plates had to be butted together. To ensure that everything lined up properly, I stuck a few Lego pieces along the seam while the adhesive was drying.

mid century modern lego table

While waiting for the glue to dry, I built several pieces of "hardware" using Krazy Glue. I applied these to the drawer, basket, and on the sides of the table with the glue.

mid century modern lego table

Of course, the remaining Legos went into the storage basket!

mid century modern lego table

After all was completely dry, I brushed on two layers of matte wax. Here it is, all ready for the amazing things my grandson will build!

• Peggy Burnette

What color did you use (the gray color) ?? Thanks, it is great.

• A

Kilz Chalk paint - Toasted Poppyseed

• Selina Williams

Why the wax?

• A

The wax gives it a protective coat that makes it easier to wipe down. Since it will be used (abused) by my grandsons, it will need all the protection it can get LOL!