Bathroom Oak Vanity Makeover With Latex Paint

Our master bath has been a pretty big eye sore since we moved in. It is your standard builder grade bathroom with no upgrades. It is going to be a long time before we have the funds to remodel this puppy, so I decided to do my best to make it more to my liking the DIY way.
I started by taping the walls and counter off. Next, I took my doors and drawers off and sanded everything down with my Dewalt power sander. If you don't own one of these, get one. They are under $100 and worth every penny. I use mine for tons of projects around the house. It saves a lot of time, muscle and vacuums up most of the dust you will create sanding, but I still use protection.
I did hand sand some crevices on my doors that my power sander couldn't get to. Then, I wiped everything down with a cloth to get rid of the dust before painting. I am normally a Sherwin Williams fan, but I had a gift card to Home Depot so I picked a SW color and had them mix it at HD. The color I selected was SW 7074 Software, and I chose the Behr Premium Plus Ultra semi-gloss since it is a paint and primer in one. It covered in two coats, and a quart was plenty to get the job done.
The whole process took about three days. I did a light sanding with a high grit paper (I used 220) in-between coats and gave it a couple days to cure before putting on the hardware. Paint takes around 30 days to cure completely, so if you are worried about it getting dinged up, put a coat of poly on top. I am daring or maybe lazy. No poly for me.

Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
Pretty Distressed

• Linda
    Linda

Can you paint over Formica?

• Gretchen
    Gretchen

Did you remove the drawer fronts? I have almost the same cupboards, and it looks like you took them off to paint. If so, how did you remove them? You did an amazing job! I hope that I can do the same. I have sanded the front of one door, as I was hoping to make it look like an “unfinished” very light oak/birch look..but I’m not sure that will work. Thank you for sharing!

• Shirley
    Shirley

U said paint takes bout 30 days to cure...seriously? Our bathroom is used everyday.

• Patty
    Patty

I was just checking for posts and came upon your DIYer. It just so happens, I am currently redoing my bathroom, began with the cabinet doors. The color I’m using happens to be the exact color in your picture. This is my very first project. I’m hoping and praying it comes out “perfect”. If not perfect, at least A “WOW”, is acceptable.

• Beth
    Beth

Very professional-looking!