How do I prevent cold air from coming in behind my kitchen sink?

+4

I have cold air that comes in from behind kitchen sink an counter. There is a gap between counter an the wall.

q i need to find a way to keep air from coming in behind my sink in kit

Is there a DIY fix,that is not costly,but will look halfway descent?

• Oliva Oliva on Nov 19, 2018

Can you caulk in the gap between counter and wall? It would most likely significantly reduce air leak. If you can get to rear wall inside lower cabinets, check there to insure no cracks are admitting air. If your kitchen is over your basement, see if other air leaks exist. Wrap your kitchen water pipes with foam pipe wrap, that is pre-slit and sized to fit your pipes. Fill any holes around water pipes with minimally expanding foam.

• Betsy Betsy on Nov 19, 2018

Hi Jenny: All you really need to do is caulk the area. There is a clear caulk you can use if you don't want the white. If you feel the need, you can get some thin foam backer rod and cut it in half lengthwise, shove that down into the hole and then caulk. Very easy, you can do this:) Good luck

• Run a line of caulk in the gap to seal it.

• Ken Erickson Ken Erickson on Nov 19, 2018

Get a can of the low-expansion foam gap filler (used around doors and windows). Spray in a small amount of foam to seal the gaps about half way. Don't put in too much, because it continues to expand and you will have to trim it off about a day later.

• Catherine Deirdre Rodden Catherine Deirdre Rodden on Nov 20, 2018

I would first look inside the cabinet under the sink and see if you can locate the crack or gap happening there. If just a crack, go with the caulk suggestions already posted. If there is a gap, pick up some weather stripping and see if that fills the area first then caulk over it.

• Dee Dee on Nov 20, 2018

They also sell gap filters, if the hole is too big to caulk. Or you can put a piece of molding in that area to block the cold.