Wallpaper Comeback No Intimidation!

$50

I’m not sure about you but I have always been intimidated about wallpaper. I consider myself an avid remodeler been doing this since the 80s. So I was not sure if it was hard to do it was just scary to lineup the textures and such. So when my daughter asked me to help her with her-so teeny little bathroom of course I agreed but I was still a little intimidated.

Beautiful role my son in-law did

My son-in-law had done a beautiful job with the tile in the shower.

Damaged walls

Being an 80-year-old house there was lots of holes and imperfections that would’ve shown through with that paint.

Gapping holes

But the walls were pretty rough and it would’ve taken a few days of floating and sanding to make this all look decent for painting.

Walmart sells prepasted wallpaper

My daughter had purchased this wall paper at Walmart for like $15 a roll I think it took us four rolls for this whole bathroom. It had small textured lines in it and it was paper! That is where my intimidation started.

Here is my daughter measuring out our next

We originally left an overhang on the top and bottom and I had brought my X-Acto knife set to cut it. But we found once it got wet it was very soggy and not so easy to cut with the X-Acto knife it tore easily so we literally had to cut with the scissors. And we learned that we tried to do that as much as we could in the beginning and not have to go back and trim.

Tricky around the shelfs

We literally placed a flat rectangular box in the shower full of water and we would measure it out my daughter would run it through the water and I stood on the ladder and put it in place you could still move it before had gotten soggy And tear.

Here it is starting to dry

We made sure to take our hands and go back over it and back over it to make sure any air bubbles were gone and all of that was adhered. We did not use any tour at this point because we were concerned about tearing the wall paper. Finished product is amazing you can see I could you

Waited 24 hrs and painted

Finish product was amazing, you could not see where I had patched or hidden all the holes.We did not use any tools at this point because we were concerned about tearing the wall paper.

Finished wall

It really turned out beautiful.

I would Definitely recommend it it was inexpensive and with the two of us working together it happened quickly.

As you can tell my kids have the same rustic look as I do. I took my drywall mud and went around the shelves and the ceiling and push drywall on mud in between the voids in wall paper to make sure it would adhere. Since there was going to be moisture in this bathroom I wanted to make sure that the paper did not start feeling down off the walls.

I would definitely recommend this if you’ve got an old bathroom that’s gonna take a lot of work just go ahead and slap this wallpaper on it and you’re good to go.

• Katherine

How do you prep to ha g wallpaper over rough shot wall that is painted?

• Ruth

We really only wiped down. Nothing major other than me patching holes.

• Ruth

Could you take a sanding block to the rough spot

?

• Steve C

As always before any decorating it's best to prep as well as you can. The smoother the wall, the better the finish.

• Kimber

I think the applying Tissue Paper for a textured look seems much easier & faster. I've not tried it yet as I've just recently stumbled upon this painting trick.

• K_a7863698

I used this exact paper in my guest bathroom but haven’t painted it yet.

My husband installed it & discovered the exact same setback with trimming it, it will tear when wet.

also we can see where we butted the seams but hoped it won’t show once painted.

Hiw did you paint it, with a roller & how easy was it to get into the grooves?

• Ruth

Painted with a heavy texture roller. It covered easy. Good luck!

• K_a7863698

Thank you Ruth!

I was hoping that would do the trick!

• Ruth

mostof the walls were already painted other than my patching. Good luck on the wall paper.

• Carol Bellinger

I used the same kind of wallpaper except a paisley design I had ugly paneling so I used Sheetrock mud to fill the lines and then wallpapered it. It looks amazing and nobody knows it is paneling