$40 Fireplace Update

$40

Are you wanting to refresh your living room space for cheap?! Here's the project for you! We’ve had this broken, cheesy electric fireplace for too long and the wife and I wanted something more appealing for the holidays. We totally made it over in a few simple steps. Here’s what I did for about $40!

40 fireplace update

First things first, remove the old and broken fireplace 😂 Once that is out, we're ready to get to work!

40 fireplace update

Second, sit back and admire the heavy metal tinfoil “flame” background. Don't worry, that'll go soon enough!

40 fireplace update

Third step...cut one sheet of faux brick paneling (which you could pick up form the hardware store) to size and caulk the seams. Pretty simple, huh?

40 fireplace update

Fourth and beyond...paint and texture! I painted the inside of the fireplace black and the outside a nice white to match the mantel. Let that dry!

40 fireplace update

Then cut a few logs for your grate and enjoy the non-functional but stylish new fireplace 😜

It is all decked out and ready for the upcoming holidays! Hope you like it as much as we do!

• Amanda Wittke

What a beautiful transformation! I'm determined to use that brick paneling in my house somewhere! Did you add texture to the paneling at all? or just paint?

• SpudBread

I got really tired of cleaning out ashes from my main living room fireplace--- so I restocked/piled logs for "effect" (shadows too!), with a single red "Christmas tree light" behind for "color." Had it plugged into a timer-- on for evening ambiance- off at bedtime-- Did a lot for the whole room! And, best of all -- NO MORE ASHES! ENJOY!!!!

• Theresa

This is an amazing transformation! One suggestion: buy one of those fireplace inserts that uses gel gas. It gives you a nice cozy flame. We have one in our faux fireplace.