DIY Floating Shelves

$200
1 Day

How to build simple floating shelves for your home - this project will produce gorgeous floating shelves that will look professional! The bonus? They're super easy to make yourself! You can also click here to find my tips for how to style your shelving once you get it hung!

diy floating shelves

After measuring your space and deciding on the sizing of your shelves, start by cutting your boards down to the appropriate size. You'll want two pieces for the top and bottom (I recommend using 1X12 pine), then a piece for the front of the shelf (cut to match the length of the shelves) and two for the sides (which will be cut to match the depth of the shelves).

Once all of your cuts are made, use your table saw to miter the all edges of the boards except the edge that will sit against the wall. This will allow you to create shelves with no visible end grain.

Lay them all out as shown above and tape the seams together - the painter's tape will act as a clamp to hold things in place while the glue dries!

**NOTE: For further details on this process, please see the full blog post! It's a bit complicated to explain in a brief format!

diy floating shelves

Once you've taped all of the seams, flip the entire thing over and apply glue in the mitered edges. Fold the pieces up to create a box (it will be open in the back) and tape the outside to hold it in place.

diy floating shelves

After the shelves have fully dried, thoroughly sand them and apply stain. I used my paint sprayer to apply it.

diy floating shelves

Now, you're ready to hang them! Use 1X2 boards to build a frame as seen above to act as the support for the shelves. You'll attach this to the wall and then slide the shelves right over it.

diy floating shelves

After hanging your supports on the wall (be sure to drill directly into studs!), slide the shelves on top and nail them into place. Then, fill them up!

For more details on this project, see the full blog post. It has many more pictures and details!

Love & Renovations

• Sue

Think your supports are 2X2s, not 1X2s? Look very nice!

• Marie DiChiara

i don’t have a mitre saw. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you😊

• Joan Krummert

Beautiful and they look professional.

• Noreen Schaan

Very awesome work! I'm so wanting to do a much smaller version in my 26ft RV home. I'm very fortunate that I have a father in law who is able to mill all the wood I need for my building projects. I have just had a good amount of lumber dropped off to start my small cedar deck . I can't wait to start and get it done. So nice to see so many other women who are good at carpentry as well. Keep on DIY'ING ..oh yeah😉🙂❤👍