How to Build Inexpensive Mudroom Benches

$100
1 Week

Our mudroom is one of the most used rooms in our house. It is combined with our laundry room so there is always a constant flow of laundry and children in and out of this room. The mudroom is between our garage and the front hall, and when we enter the house it’s through the mudroom. We had a lack of functional storage for each of the kids, so shoes, coats and bags just ended up all over the floor. I really wanted to take care of the storage situation, and the first thing to take care of was building the benches.

how to build inexpensive mudroom benches

For this project I chose to use some furniture pieces I had around the house, plus inexpensive options to finish it off. I started with vintage drop leaf table legs. I found these at a yard sale and never quite found a use for them.

I took the table legs apart built the bench frames using some pine boards. I glued them all together using wood glue, and added some finishing nails to keep it all together.

For the tops of the benches I found some old closet doors at a second hand store. I sanded all the pieces with my palm sander. I started with 80 grit, and worked up to 180 grit. Next I took out my paint sprayer and painted all the parts with a bright blue paint. I did three light coats of paint to get a solid finish.

To attach the mudroom benches to the wall, I used a stud finder to find the studs. Then I screwed all the benches into the studs, and used a level to make sure they were straight.

Finally, I placed the tops of the benches on top and used some finishing nails to keep it in place. I completed this mudroom makeover by adding a few other systems to keep everything organized. Find out my other storage hacks here: https://thevanderveenhouse.com/2018/11/11/mini-mudroom-makeover/

Jessica VanderVeen

• Gina

Did you cut the legs down at all?

a Table leg is much too tall for a bench

• Debbie

AWESOME JOB GIRL!! I have been doing my share of woodwork lately but I’m not that great at it😄. I was wanting to redo my husbands work closet space (uniforms , shoes etc ) do you have any ideas on how to build like a cubby kinda like the one I see yourblaundry basket in? Looks pretty simple , still looking for different ideas . I’ll show y’all the before and after 👍🏻

• Barbie Hastings

Have an older r v need to remodel any ideas