Christmas Yards - Easy Light Trees

$25

Here is an easy idea to light up your yard for Christmas without spending a lot of time and money. We spent $25-$30 and made three trees.

To do this, you will need:

-1 1/2” PVC conduit (found by electrical supplies)

-T posts (make sure the ones you buy fit inside your pipe)

-outdoor string lights

-landscaping staples (found with the gardening supplies)

-spray paint (for tree “trunk”)

Cut the pipe to your desired tree height. They come in 10 ft sections. We bought two pipes to make 3 trees; one was left at 10’, and the other was cut to be 6’ and 4’.

Next, you will need to cut notches into one end of each pipe section. These pipes have one larger end to fit pipes together, so I recommend cutting the smaller end. We cut 6 notches in ours using a reciprocating saw, each notch is around 1” deep.

When you are finished cutting everything, spray paint the pipes. I chose green, but black or brown would also work. Or you could make your trees into brighter colors - it is up to you!

Decide where you want your tree(s) to go, and put up the T posts. We used a 5’ post for the 4’ tree (1 ft is in the ground), and the other two are 6’ posts. Try to make these as level as possible.

Feed your pipes onto the posts. Mark out the radius of your tree. I like to use flour in a shaker/large spice container, but marking paint would also work. Size is completely up to your preferences, but I marked 3’ around the 10’ tree, 2’ for the 6’, and 1 1/2’ for the 4’ tree. You want your marks close enough to easily see a circle.

Put the female end of the first strand of lights into the pipe and feed the wire into one of the notches. (You can also add a star onto the top and plug it in here if you want to!)

From here you will feed the lights down to the ground, insert a landscaping staple, pull the strand +/- 1’ along the circle, insert another staple, feed the wires up and into the same notch you came out of, then out the notch next to it.

I only do about 2/3 of the circle, leaving a gap at the back to use less light strands, but you can do a full circle if you want. I usually end up using 3 strands for the 10’ tree, 2 strands for the 6’, and 1 strand for the 4’. Some of this is used to string between the trees and connect all of the lights.

To connect multiple strands and keep the plugs from pulling apart, twist one strand around the other before attaching the ends.

Turn them on and enjoy!

• Nilaboone2005

Love this! Thanks...about how much for ALL materials...thanks again

• Amanda

We already had the lights, but we bought them on sale for $2 each (normally $4), totaling $12.

Two PVC pipes ($6 and change) were also around $12. (Regular PVC in the plumbing section is significantly more expensive than conduit pipe.)

We also already had 2 T posts, but they are $2-$3 each. ($6-$9 total)

A can of spray paint is $3

And garden staples are $3

So, buying everything from scratch in my area would be $36-$39, but most people have some supplies on hand. I use the T posts in my garden during spring and summer, then use them for yard decorations at Halloween and Christmas, same for the staples.

• Gram

Maybe a person could just use a tomatoe cage turned upside down??

• Lynn Wall

So will these stay all year, and what will you do with them after the holidays?

• Amanda

These are fairly easy to put up and take down. With the light strands off, the rest doesn’t take up much space. I store the poles and T posts in my garage most of the year, and the lights wrapped up and in a box with our other Christmas lights.