Amanda
Amanda
  • Tutorial Team
  • Broken Arrow, OK

Christmas Yards - Easy Light Trees

$25

Here is an easy idea to light up your yard for Christmas without spending a lot of time and money. We spent $25-$30 and made three trees.

christmas yards easy light trees

To do this, you will need:

-1 1/2” PVC conduit (found by electrical supplies)

-T posts (make sure the ones you buy fit inside your pipe)

-outdoor string lights

-landscaping staples (found with the gardening supplies)

-spray paint (for tree “trunk”)

christmas yards easy light trees

Cut the pipe to your desired tree height. They come in 10 ft sections. We bought two pipes to make 3 trees; one was left at 10’, and the other was cut to be 6’ and 4’.

Next, you will need to cut notches into one end of each pipe section. These pipes have one larger end to fit pipes together, so I recommend cutting the smaller end. We cut 6 notches in ours using a reciprocating saw, each notch is around 1” deep.

When you are finished cutting everything, spray paint the pipes. I chose green, but black or brown would also work. Or you could make your trees into brighter colors - it is up to you!

christmas yards easy light trees

Decide where you want your tree(s) to go, and put up the T posts. We used a 5’ post for the 4’ tree (1 ft is in the ground), and the other two are 6’ posts. Try to make these as level as possible.

christmas yards easy light trees

Feed your pipes onto the posts. Mark out the radius of your tree. I like to use flour in a shaker/large spice container, but marking paint would also work. Size is completely up to your preferences, but I marked 3’ around the 10’ tree, 2’ for the 6’, and 1 1/2’ for the 4’ tree. You want your marks close enough to easily see a circle.

christmas yards easy light trees

Put the female end of the first strand of lights into the pipe and feed the wire into one of the notches. (You can also add a star onto the top and plug it in here if you want to!)

christmas yards easy light trees

From here you will feed the lights down to the ground, insert a landscaping staple, pull the strand +/- 1’ along the circle, insert another staple, feed the wires up and into the same notch you came out of, then out the notch next to it.

christmas yards easy light trees

I only do about 2/3 of the circle, leaving a gap at the back to use less light strands, but you can do a full circle if you want. I usually end up using 3 strands for the 10’ tree, 2 strands for the 6’, and 1 strand for the 4’. Some of this is used to string between the trees and connect all of the lights.

christmas yards easy light trees

To connect multiple strands and keep the plugs from pulling apart, twist one strand around the other before attaching the ends.

christmas yards easy light trees
christmas yards easy light trees

Turn them on and enjoy!

• Susan

How do you keep top on so it didnt fall off pipe

• JJ

Go back and look at the pictures and you’ll see they cut notches out on the top of the post

• Mary Dodge

Maybe I missed it... how long is each strand of lights? And how did you put the 1 ft of pipe in the ground?

• Amanda

I believe our strands are 25 ft. The pvc pipe is not in the ground, just the T-post. A post driver is the easiest way, but a hammer and block or mallet will also work.

• Nilaboone2005

Love this! Thanks...about how much for ALL materials...thanks again

• Amanda

At the very top I said that we spent about $25-$30 total to make 3 trees.

• Robin

Loved this idea. Very pretty and festive! Hey, how often can you have a lovely Christmas yard on a shoe string! Thank you! Want to try next year.

• Arlene

I used hoola hoops for my tree. Got a looming form for the top to run the lites on easier to reuse every year made of plastic i tried the nails on a pc of circular wood ring but the nails rusted. . Seen. Loom ring at jo Anns. .ring had 16 prongs gave me idea for top of my pvc pipe. Since nails rusted Thank you for your suggestion.