Green Dresser Makeover

$60

I paint a lot of furniture, but I'll have to admit that this green dresser is one of my favorites.

It started out so plain and boring. The results still make me swoon. Maybe because this particular green paint color is my favorite.

Here's how the dresser started life. Boring, dated hardware, but it had nice bones and gorgeous wooden keyholes.

The top was warped, so we removed it and built a new one using this tutorial that I wrote for another dresser.

After cleaning the dresser, I started painting it. It took about 3 coats of paint because I was changing the color to it's complimentary color. Drastic color changes require more paint.

The new top was attached from the inside of the dresser and painted as well.

When the dresser was painted, I wet distressed it. This method only works with chalky type paints.

Use a wet sponge to remove the paint from the edges, raised details, corners and any place that would naturally get a lot of wear. Just rub until the paint comes off.

Wet distressing tends to look a little more natural than sand paper. Vary the pressure and amount in places to make it look more natural. (I have a post on this on my blog - link below)

After it dried, I applied 3 coats of top coat, letting each coat dry in between. The top coat makes the color richer and also protects all of your hard work.

New hardware was added using the existing holes and I lined the drawers with a pretty wrapping paper. (I have a post on lining drawers on my blog - link below)

I love how this dresser turned out!

For more furniture makeovers and tutorials, check out my blog.

30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
Emy Flint | Semigloss Design

• Lea Barnhart

Love the green. Could you tell me the brand and color? Thanks!

• Ann C

Nice job!! I also chalk paint beautiful old furniture. We give it a new life!