DIY Animal Print Bookcase Background

$80

A couple years ago, I painted my fireplace and built-ins white. I love color and patterns and prints, but I cannot commit to them longer than a couple months. My likes and favorites change with every season it seems. I love how people change the inside color of bookcases, it's adds character and depth to a room. So I set out to create something temporary that would damage my built-ins.

I love animal prints (I think they act as a neutral), but since I wanted to do this cheap, I was going to have to create it from scratch. I bought some stiff display board at the art store and they were able to cut it down to the exact sizes I needed to fit the back of my bookcase.

If you'd like to read the full original post, you can read it here.

I bought a small piece of Speedball from an art shop, and found my Exacto-Knives.

I used a regular pencil and drew out the shapes of "animals spots".

I cut out the shapes with my Exacto-Knife. Perfection is not the goal, and as long as you get a smooth cut on one side, you're good.

I got some hair-brained idea stick plastic forks in the stamps to use use a handle. It worked great! I could pour out some black acrylic paint onto a styrofoam plate and dab the animal spot stamp into a thin layer of paint to coat the bottom of the animal spot. Now I was ready to stamp!

Make sure to rotate stamps and mix up the order you use them. Random is key! Let the boards dry and then they're done!

The boards stayed in place mostly by themselves. For some I used a little painters tape to hold it in place.

Click on over to my original blog post to see how it all looks!

31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
15 Memorial Day Crafts
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
Everything Red For Canada Day
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
The Striped House

• C

so you made stamps?

• Shirley

She cut them from the Speedball carving block, then stuck plastic forks in the backs for handles. It's a new product to me.

• Trish F

Do you have a picture of the finished project? If so please share.

• Trish F

Gale O'Neal - not only that but had I wanted to go the blog I would have done that 1.5 years ago when I originally asked the question.

• Vickie Hartlaub

what is speedball? looks like clay?

• Ellen

Please ignore the sorry section above. the original came out in about 22 font size!