Kitchen Makeover

Our kitchen doesn't get a ton of natural light, so I have wanted to lighten up my cabinets for years. My original kitchen wishlist included new countertops, new tile backsplash, farmhouse sink, the list goes on. My husband, being the sensible one, had finally given in to letting me paint, but wasn't keen on replacing perfectly functional countertops and backsplash. This became the kitchen of compromises. But what I love is that all I did was paint, add glass to one set of cabinets and add a couple other small details and the difference is still incredible!

kitchen makeover, kitchen backsplash, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design, painting

This is the before. I didn't feel like it was dated so much as it was just dark...

Here's the after! Paining the cabinets in Behr's Cottage White gave this kitchen a whole new feel.

Even with the same countertops and backsplash, the difference is huge!

Replacing the raised panels of one set of doors with glass made a huge impact. Would you believe this is a DIY job? (The details are on my blog.)

The addition of this kitchen cart,a yard sale find that I painted, adds a pretty pop of color as well as prep space and a bit more storage.

I added wainscoting to the backside of this outer set of cabinets.

I also added a shelf above this window...

I love the changes, and I couldn't be happier in my (feels like) new kitchen! UPDATE: We recently replaced the floor with new hardwoods and added a lighter rug! Loving this space even more now! :)

Confessions of a Serial DIYer

• Cit24302123

What kind of paint did you use on cabinets. I redid mine and wrecked them!
  • Michelle

Where did you get the shade for the window?

• Diana

I love everything about your new kitchen. The white paint did indeed make it brighter Did you remove all the lower cabinets and stove to put in the hard wood floors?

• Maria

Is there a pattern for the Roman Shades you used on the valances?

• Lucille

Love it! Love everything about it! My cabinets are dark as well . You have inspired me to paint them white. I have the same small island as you. I will be painting it a contrasting color as well, as you did.