Melanie
Melanie
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Canada

Tire Planter for the Winter Season

$10

Some of the most common things can make beautiful additions to your outdoor winter decor. Easy to make and will not break the bank to create. All you need is an old tire. You may have some and if you don't any garage will gladly give you used ones for free.

tire planter for the winter season

So to start this project I got two tires, I am only using the big one for this project but did both at the same time so that is why the small one is in the picture. Clean the tires with soapy water and rinse then let dry. Once dry you are going to spray paint them using Bulls Eye 1 2 3 paint primer. I used this spray paint as it is a stain blocker and if the tires have any oil etc on them it will bleed thru with regular spray paint.

tire planter for the winter season

So here they are all painted. I did two coats and they covered very well.

tire planter for the winter season

Next you are going to take your tire and fill the bottom of it with sand.

tire planter for the winter season

Now you are going to take assorted boughs of pine and cedar. I went and cut mine. Start arranging them in the bottom of your tire, sticking the ends in your sand and layer til you are satisfied with the appearance.. You can add berries , pine cones etc. If you can't get real boughs dollar stores carry an assortment.

tire planter for the winter season

Here it is finished. I absolutely love how this turned out. You may choose to add a bow or even outdoor battery light on timers to light up at night. This was super easy to make. My smaller tire I will be doing the same thing to, only hanging it.