Make a Candy Cane Christmas Swag

$40

I spotted this cute candy cane swag in Bullseye's Playground at Target and just knew it would be the perfect thing to add to my candy-themed Christmas this year!

make a candy cane christmas swag
make a candy cane christmas swag

I start all of my swags with a piece of styrofoam about 2″ x 4″ x 11″. This will be the base for your swag. Using a button to keep the wire from cutting through my foam, I push a wire through the holes on the button and use another button on the other side.  

make a candy cane christmas swag

On the backside, I can twist the wires to make a circle to be able to hang my swag on a Command brand hook.  

make a candy cane christmas swag

With my styrofoam base set up, I hung it on the door of my craft room to begin work. 

make a candy cane christmas swag

I began by adding steel picks to a variety of small pieces of artificial evergreens and building up my swag, particularly around the edges.  

make a candy cane christmas swag

I took a wire, bent it through the little hole on my sign and then added a steel pick to the wires so my sign would hold securely in the foam.  

make a candy cane christmas swag

I just stuck my sign right in the middle of my base and then started adding additional greenery around the sign. 

make a candy cane christmas swag

Of course you have to have candy canes! I removed the ribbon holders from these styrofoam ornaments and stuck a piece of 18 gauge wire into each of the canes.  

make a candy cane christmas swag

I added the candy canes and some peppermint ball picks to my swag.

make a candy cane christmas swag

By adding a steel pick onto a loop of ribbon, I can add loops right into my swag. If you don't have a steel pick machine, you can use wood wired sticks in the same way.

make a candy cane christmas swag

The ribbon loops and tails bring the whole swag to life.

make a candy cane christmas swag

My candy cane swag is ready to greet guests with a sweet message!

Celebrate & Decorate (Chloe Crabtree)

• Suzy Googoo

How did you manage to make this so freaking cute? I must make it!!!

• Suzy Googoo

OK. Where did you buy the candy canes and ribbon. Those links on amazon show different items.

• Linda Jahnke

For the life of me I can't make anything like this without it looking like a 10 yr old did it. (no offense to 10 yr olds as they are the only ones that can help with cell phones & computers!)If I had a talent like this, though, I wouldn't hesitate! In the meantime I can only dream. Would love that hanging on my door!

• Sandy

Simply beautiful