Barn Style Wall Made With Scraps

$10
Advanced

New construction builds often entail changes that are made to the plans as the project progresses. With this cottage the original plan was to have an open loft bedroom but the owner later proposed to frame a new wall and enclose it.

barn style wall made with scraps

The new wall was framed with 2x4's and enclosed from the outside with 6" tongue and groove pine like the corresponding walls. The pine boards were installed with an air nailer using 2" finishing nails. The tutorial for the barn door also seen below can be viewed here http://www.hometalk.com/35476055/simple-barn-....

barn style wall made with scraps

So with building this additional wall came additional costs and there was a lot of wastage from the Pine boards. How could you put all of those short ends to good use and cut down on extra costs ? Seen below is just a fraction of the scraps that came from covering the walls of the entire cottage.

barn style wall made with scraps

My solution was prompted by the popular style of barnwood walls, they look scrappy, they're all different colors and use recycled wood. Yeah, we could do that on the interior side of the new wall easily! Win-win...save money and add style at the same time!

I had leftover min-wax stains from other projects that I put on some of the Pine pieces to get the owners to pick their favorite color choices.

Stain Names Listed Below.
Stain Names Listed Below.

Next came applying the stains to the scrap boards, I used t-shirt rags and wore disposable gloves. The process is easy and goes quickly because only one even coat was applied and just left to dry for 24 hours. Since those scraps got used up quickly once installation began I realized I had to stain another batch to complete the project.

COLOR LIST AS FOLLOWS:

1. Ebony 2. Early American 3. Classic Gray 4. Red Mahogany 5. Walnut 6. Fruitwood 7. Maple Harvest

NOTE: THE STAINS SHOWN HERE WERE APPLIED TO PINE SO WHEN APPLIED TO OTHER WOOD TYPES THERE MAY BE VARIATIONS IN THE OUTCOME. ITS BEST TO TEST A SMALL SAMPLE ALWAYS.

barn style wall made with scraps

You begin installing at the bottom, the height of the first strip of the barn wall was cut to match the height of the base strip on the plain pine wall. This starting point is "key " to making the overall finish look cohesive. I've shown this with the arrows and lines marked in on the photo below. You'll see the new barn wall started with a slender strip to match the strip at the base of the pre-existing wall, this way all horizontal lines match up in the corners.

Continue to work your way up with mixing and matching the colors and length size, checking with a level as you go to keep your seams straight. All scrap board were given a fresh straight edge cut with the compound mitre saw to ensure a good join between ends, with the exception of the angled cuts required in the upper corners.

barn style wall made with scraps

Here's a close up of how the wood grains show through the stain and how the seams are tight because of cutting new straight edges on all joins with the mitre saw.

barn style wall made with scraps
barn style wall made with scraps

Here's the completed look of the barn wall with complimentary trims added to the door frame.

barn style wall made with scraps

Our only regret was that we didn't come up with this idea sooner to make effcient use of all of the scraps. By this point all of the cottage walls were completed but this sure would have made a great accent wall to the other bedroom downstairs! To say the owners were pleased was an understatement, they have a custom built wall feature that most likely would have just become fire kindling!

barn style wall made with scraps

* I'm listing the cost low due to an extra pint of stain I purchased because really all other items were already on hand leftover from this construction project and others.

*Time duration included stain drying time and installation.

• Sandra Walburn

Could I get the colors for 1,2 & 5

im doing a kitchen/ breakfast nook redo and I think this is beautiful.

• Alice Wilkerson

After staining or painting a small section of your board, you need to set it against the wall it will be used on so that you can see it in every variation of the sun during the day. I hope this makes sense and will help someone ♡ .

• Anette

How did you make sure the joints came out on a stud? What if they were too short to reach??

• Sea Trace Creations

The tongue and grove style of the boards used ensures a lock fit on the top and bottom of each layer so really as long as it reached one stud for nailing it was sufficient to secure it. Its similar to the the snap and lock flooring you buy these days that doesn't require nails but to ensure no movement nails were used here. The studs were 16" space so pices shorter than that are likely discarded BUT not until it was completed because you don't know where you'll need a short end to finish off. I hope this helps you understand how it was installed.

• Jodee Helm

I do want to do a wall like this in my house but I’m struggling to figure out what to do with one side of the wall that has a curved edge. Any ideas?

• Jodee Helm
      2 hours ago

posting a picture is a great idea! Duh! Didn’t even think of that! Thanks! I’ll post in help section

• Kate

Love this!! You did a great job, it looks Amazing!! Would love to do this in my bedroom

• Charlynn Forbes

Really love the look!! Perfect for the wall I want to add to make a second bedroom in my strange 50 year old house, im n Puerto Vallarta, Mexico!!