Staining With No Stripping

$50

I hate stripping. It is messy, time consuming and to be effective, it usually involves harsh chemical products.

If you also hate it, you will like this tutorial. I will show you how I re-stained the top of this buffet without stripping or sanding it down using gel stain.

This is how this buffet looked before. It was in pretty good shape, so I decided to re-stain the top without stripping or sanding it down.

I sanded the top lightly using fine sandpapers (220 then 320 grit), always going in the same direction of the grain.

Next I removed all the sawdust with water and vinegar and applied the gel stain using a foam brush.

Using a piece of t-shirt, I removed the excess of stain. Then I waited about two hours and applied a second coat of stain, then a third.

The next day, after the stain was dry, I sealed it with three coats of General Finishes Water-Based top coat, satin.

For a smooth finish, I sanded between coats of sealer using a 320 grit sandpaper.

The more coats of sealer, the better your piece is protected. For this piece, I applied three coats.

Here is how it looks now! Watch the video tutorial in which I show you how I did it, and also tell you about the five mistakes you should avoid when applying gel stain without stripping and sanding down your piece.

Let me know if you have any questions! If you want a more detailed tutorial, check out my blog post (link below) and my Facebook page.

Thanks for reading!

30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
Pat Rios | The Wood Spa

• Patrick Waters

What are the 5 mistakes of using gel stains?

• Joann

Shuganne, I could like your comment a thousand times over. Perfect and respectful reply !! Couldn't have been said any better. I myself dont have time to watch many videos so I get what I can from the post. Thanks a million from me and probably a million others.

• Victoria Williams

It looks gorgeous. What is the blueish purple color you used on the front?

• Sara Noonan

Any help on getting water stains out first or is that where the sanding comes from by removing them? Thanks!!

• Joann

Sara l, have you ever tried a damp towel and an iron for on water marks? It works wonders I never would of believed it until i tried it.