Margaret Powell
Margaret Powell
  • Tutorial Team
  • Lebanon, OH

No Sew Bed Skirt Made From Purchased Valances.

$45

This is a an easy way to make a bed skirt without having to sew. I have made them in the past and used elastic and was not really satisfied with the results and using the sheet between the mattress and box springs is a pain in the back to put onto the bed. The elastic idea was difficult to wash since it was a very long item that tangled in the washer and dryer. This idea is short valances that are easy to wash.

no sew bed skirt made from purchased valances

I like the look of the Batten-burg lace so I purchased valances with it on the edge. I purchased them from Walmart. For bed skirts they were quite sufficient.

I also purchased enough magnets to go around my bed frame. I placed them about 3 inches apart so they would hold the skirt up without allowing the skirt to fall from the weight.

The first thing I did was take out the stitching and open the valance so I could insert the magnets into the fold of the top of the valance.

I used my hand as a measure to place the magnets equaling under the fold of the top. Using straight pins, I positioned them so they would prevent the magnets from moving. I placed two magnets close together at each end of the valance to give it more support.

I decided to pin the magnets in place rather than sewing them in. When the skirt needs washing, the pins are easy enough to remove. Otherwise the magnets, if sewn in, would cause the fabric to bunch up in the washer and also grab onto the tub and dryer drum. The magnets would not allow the skirt to be washed and dried.

After placing all the magnets, I than attached the skirt to the metal bed frame.

Here it is completed. I needed three valances to go around my bed. I have a twin bed so if you have a larger bed it will take more. I purchased the valances at Walmart for $9.87 each. I also purchased the magnets for $5.97 at Walmart. The pack held 52 magnets which was all I needed.

Before everyone tells me I could have purchased it cheaper than doing this, I want to say that I do not know that I could have found a skirt with the look I was wanting. The idea of how I did this is what I wanted to post. I am sure than there are cheaper valances available that would make pretty bed skirts so go with what you find and like.

• Ticia

I love what you did. When I was searching for bed skirts, they couldn't be found for some time but then I did find them and they were the kind that go under the mattress which I hate. Ended up cutting that middle piece out. My ? is why magnets as opposed to tacks they have especially for this purpose? I have one on elastic as well and am not crazy about it but love your idea. Thanks. Ticia

• Paula

This idea is an excellent one. I have a king size bed for which I purchased a bed skirt that, unknowingly, is cheap and see through. My plan is to do something similar with a king size sheet (heavy enough to be opaque), a much better color and do a similar design, though my bed frame is not metal, so magnets wouldn't work I will use large straight pins like another project showed on Hometalk.

• Benesse

Love the idea, just trying to understand better so I can replicate the project.

How did you affix magnets on the bed frame?

If it's glue, wouldn't they pull off once you tried to remove the bed skirt--its magnets pulling the bed frame magnets?

• If your frame isn't metal then you could use the industrial strength Velcro that's found in sewing area at walmart.. I used this type Velcro when I made a skirt for the outside of my bathtub.. the "tape" is strong enough to stay on the object you're attaching something to, then the alternate piece is fixed in place to the skirt or other object material.. it also holds up very well in the wash.. unfortunately you cannot stitch it onto material with a machine tho because the "glue" will gum up your needle & machine..

I like this idea for metal bed frame too tho - I may just use this idea in the future since I have my grannys old twin cast iron bed..

• Margaret Powell
    8 hours ago

I am so glad that so many are liking this idea... I hated the traditional bed skirts and for a long time eliminated them totally. Finally when this idea popped into my head I just had to at least try it out. My next step is to take the time (after the holidays) to sew pockets that open from the top to allow the magnets to be easily removed and replaced when the skirts have to be laundered. One additional change will be to put a tie at each end to help secure the ends. If I could find stronger magnets it would be better. So far it is working great.

• Genita Thirlwell
    An hour ago

Looks nice. Cute idea!