DIY Evergreen Christmas Gnomes

$20

Gnomes are all the rage this Christmas. They seem to be everywhere and growing more popular by the day!

If you don’t know this already, my mother and I have a cute store just outside of the city of London and this year we thought it would be great to make porch gnomes to sell. They have been a huge hit! People LOVE them.

I thought it would be nice to show how they are made for all my blog followers, too!

Here is a quick video that will walk you through the steps and then directly below the video are some written instructions. 

Materials:

• Tomato cage
  • Evergreen
  • Red mitts
  • Red fabric
  • Needle and thread or sewing machine
  • Floral wire
  • Nude pantyhose
  • Cotton stuffing
  • Elastic

1. Place tomato cage on work surface with ring on the bottom. Using floral wire secure all prongs of the tomato cage together (like a teepee). 
  2. Using cut piece of evergreen, begin attaching them to the tomato cage with floral wire. Star from the top and work your way down.
  3. Fill in any gaps of evergreen before moving onto next step. 
  4. Make your hat by cutting a 20×20 piece of red fabric. I used heavy cotton fabric. 
  5. Fold your fabric by bringing a corner to the opposite corner, thus creating a triangle. 
  6. Along the edge of the triangle where the fabric pieces aren’t attached cut a slight curve. 
  7. Sew together the straight lines of the triangle leaving the curved portion open. 
  8. Place hat over tomato cage covered with evergreen. 
  9. Taking a pair of pantyhose, cut off one leg and discard or save remaining pantyhose for another project. 
  10. Using the cut off leg of the pantyhose, stuff it with cotton stuffing. Approx a handful. 
  11. Push the stuffing to the middle of the leg and then bring the two pieces of pantyhose on either side together and then start twisting. Secure with an elastic. 
  12. Using floral wire, secure nose to evergreen on the tomato cage so that it sits just under the hat. 
  13. Stuff two red mittens with cotton stuffing. I used children’s mittens as they are nice and small. 
  14. Push the floral wire through the mitten and secure to evergreen on the tomato cage. I go just under the nose on each side with each mitten. 
  15. Put your gnome on display and enjoy your Christmas season! 

I find the best way to learn how to do this DIY is by watching the video. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to leave them below!

If you like this project, make sure you pin it!

4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
Holly Grace

• Beth Trask Symonds
    Beth Trask Symonds

How about making them different sizes and maybe Santa hats? So many ideas just started running thru my head when I saw this! Thank you!

• Liss
    Liss

Is there a video for the evergreen nomes.

• Kelly Meyer
      Kelly Meyer

If you go to the top of the page, right after the heading there should be a video to follow. Look for the arrow facing right. Good luck and have fun.

• Pam pedersen
    Pam pedersen

how many pieces of evergreen does it take and can i use artificial pieces /

• Christine
    Christine

I made gnomes using $8 artificial trees from Big Lots. I knocked the bases off them, glued the trunk between 2 fuzzy boot ornaments, got women's Christmas leggings and cut them off, tied a knot in one end to make the hats, spread out the branches and added infant mittens for the hands and made the noses out of old pantyhose.

• Peg penater
    Peg penater

Yes!