Faux Vintage Keyhole - key hanger

Our old key hanger had a couple of large pegs to hang keys. It was sometimes tricky to put the key ring on the peg, so often times the keys didn't get placed where they should. And you know how that goes, 'where's the keys?'...and the hunt continues in frustration because the keys aren't in 'the right place'. It was time for a new key hanger, I wanted to make the hanger more interesting than a board with hooks, so I thought what better than a keyhole shape for keys.
I like the character of the old vintage keyhole plates. I came up with a pattern (available to download from the link below), and got to town building. My little helper traced the pattern for me ;-) on bead board and 3/4" MDF.
A jig saw made cutting the pattern out slick and easy.
I cut out a piece of decorative radiator grate a little larger than the pattern, then sandwiched it between 3/4" MDF and bead board with plenty of wood glue. See alt radiator grate designs on blog post.
Once the glue was dry, I added a little extra detail with thumb tacks around the outer edge. Then painted the keyhole white and distressed it to give it a vintage look. Now we have plenty of hooks to EASILY place our keys on. No excuses now :-)

15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
Hertoolbelt