Asked on Nov 29, 2018

How do I clean a ceramic stove top with burned in food?

April SmallBethPamela
+4

How do I clean my ceramic stovetop that has burned on food around outside of burner. Nothing seems to make it soft enough to remove and I’m afraid to use a knife or such since that might scratch it

• Karen Brunck
    Karen Brunck

Hi Pam. You can try soaking a dish towel in boiling water. Wear rubber gloves to gently squeeze out just enough water so it's not overly sloppy and place it over the mess. Let sit until cool. The mess should come up easily. Repeat if/as needed.

• Household Helper
    Household Helper

Pour lemon juice on spots. Sprinkle on baking soda. Once bubbling has stopped - rub hard using paper towel. Cleans up nice.

• Unexpected Elegance
    Unexpected Elegance

Olive oil and/or baking soda make great cleaning solutions for this. Here's an explanation of the process: https://homeguides.sfgate.com/remove-burned-pan-residue-ceramic-stove-top-40590.html

• Pamela
    Pamela

When stove top is cold, spray the baked on food spots with a little WD40. Let sit for a minute or two, then remove what you can easily wipe off with a soft cloth or paper towels.

Next: Finish the cleanup with Weiman Glass Cook Top Heavy Duty cleaner and polish, the back of this bottle states it "cleans, shines and protects glass & ceramic cook smooth top ranges in one step." I've found this product at both ACE Hardware and at a Kroger grocery store.

• Beth
    Beth

We had to clean a very nasty mess like this when a person renting our church house moved out. We first sprayed it well with a good cleaning solution and while it was wet we scraped the gunk off with a single edge razor blade. The liquid protected the surface from scratching and the blade is thin and flexible enough to get under baked on gunk. We followed with Bon Ami ceramic cleaner powder and water to make a paste, which got the last bits. Good luck!

• April Small
    April Small

Take a replacement blade from box cutter. Hold it on angle and it will crape off all that junk. then use cerama bright to polish after you clean with soap and water.