How can I seal my drafty large living room window?


I have a very large window in my living room. The heating vent is below the window and air comes in from the sides, under the windowsill, and my electrical outlets. How do I keep the air out and my heat in?

  8 answers
  • Dori Dori on Nov 29, 2018

    I've used the 3m clear plastic , double sided tape, after it cut to fit and attached with the tape. You take a blow dryer , I use medium heat and start in the center not to close to the plastic, and spread the air heat to the outside edge of the window. It really tightens and keeps the draft out. I've used it for years. An in expensive to cover many windows.

  • Gk Gk on Nov 29, 2018

    You can purchase a "patio" size window kit. I put the tape around the outside of my trim--interior--and then attach the plastic--the entire window and all the trim will be sealed and draft free. You can also buy foam insulation for your outlets. They come in packages and are made of thin foam with the outlet holes cut out. You remove your outlet covers and place these in the opening and then put your outlet covers back on.

  • William William on Nov 29, 2018

    Great solutions for now. In the spring or summer you may want to consider having the areas around the window insulated. May mean having to remove drywall around the window. Or Great Stuff foam insulation can be sprayed behind the walls around the window. Window trim would need to be removed to spray the foam.

  • Jim Garcia Jim Garcia on Nov 30, 2018

    If the draft is coming from a gap between the trim and the wall, then you need to apply a thin bead of caulk around the trim. Don't use silicon caulk or you won't be able to paint over it, use latex.

    You can buy 'outlet insulation' at most hardware stores. Google it.

  • Gwen Gwen on Nov 30, 2018

    Those are all great ideas. My only problem is that I live in a apartment complex and I’m not allowed to alter the original window or put outlet insulation in there. I asked them what my options are, and they had no clue. What else can I do for the outlets.

  • Lamar Havard Lamar Havard on Dec 05, 2018

    If the gaps around the window are too small for 'Great Stuff' foam, use caulk. Hardware stores have foam gaskets that you put behind the outlet covers and you can also buy insulated plugs to put in the outlets where you plug appliance cords in.

  • Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Dec 05, 2018

    They can't stop you from putting the 3M plastic on your windows, it will not alter the window in any way. They will not know that you put the little foam insulators in your outlets unless you tell them, you can't see them with the covers on. Just take them out if you move or have an inspection. See if the outside of the window frames have caulking around them, if the do, tell them it needs to be replaced as it is leaking cold air into your apartment. It is up to them to do repairs to things like this. I have used the window film many times in rentals as well as my mom's condo and it really helped to warm up her place. The outside walls were almost all window and the rooms would all get pretty chilly, esp. if the wind was up and from the right direction. She couldn't believe how much it helped and how it was really not visible, and she is a really picky clean fanatic and everything had to be just right.

  • Cindy Cindy on Dec 06, 2018

    Hi Gwen. I'm Cindy. The outlet insulators will help a lot. Such a small item will make such a big difference. They are not permanent fixtures. The 3M insulator window plastic is also not a permanent fixture. You can remove either one at any time. Those two things will keep your home warmer and your electric bill will be reduced. I'm sure your landlord doesn't want any permanent fixtures put in your house. Good luck Gwen and Happy Holidays.