Pauliegirl1
Pauliegirl1
  • Tutorial Team
  • Cumming, GA
Asked on Nov 30, 2018

What is this piece of furniture that I got at an auction?

Pauliegirl1JWAlisa Peavey
+16

I got this at an auction, nobody knows what it is? What is the purpose? It is BIG, and it opens?? Thanks in advance !!

q what is it

Without measuring, I would say about 3 ft tall and 2.5 ft in depth??

q what is it
q what is it
q what is it

The last pic shows you the grooves in the end pieces where it slides to open... I am stumped! No, don’t know why I bought it?? LOL!!

• Bjcase

Luggage rack

• Pauliegirl1

Hey BJ Is that a guess, or you know for sure?? Antique? Do you know if there is any value in it? Thanks for looking!!

• Lynn Sorrell

Better picture would help, opened up some other,different angles

• Lynn Sorrell

Maybe it's a kids bed? Like a stowaway cot. Seems kinda low to be some kind of quilting rack or embroidery. Early 1900's ??. Looks like a piece is missing ? something goes on the 2 little pegs of wood on the center piece. I'm so curious I have a lrg. collection of antique,old,rare tools and am dying to know this really nice piece of furniture's purpose.It looks like a really good craftsman made this.Please let us know if you find out I'm going to keep research it. Maybe library could help take pics in or send them to antiques dealer for info.. Don't do anything to it til you find out more about.I do love a good mystery.

• Yanick C foy

Wood holder. Or Blankets holder

• Pauliegirl1

Hey Yanick...Is that a guess? I am just stumped?? But it could be that, wod or blanket...even luggage rack?? Hoping someone knows for SURE!! Thanks for looking!!!

• Lorri Maus

The first thing I thought of due to it's shape was a hay feeder but it looks to be too nice a piece for use in a barn. We had a similarly shaped metal feeder. The hay went in the v part and the goats would poke their noses through the openings to reach the hay. Does it go completely flat when opened all the way? Is there support for the sides when open so that it could hold something heavy?

• Pauliegirl1

Hello Ms. Lorri...Thats too funny, but yea, I think you are right, a bit to nice for a barn!! LOL!! It has me really curious!! All wooden, kinda ornate...It does not look like it was 'machine' made? Somebody needs to ask their Grandma or pa?? I need to check it again, not sure it opens ALL the way, seem to remember, almost, but not all the way? It is raining tomorrow here in GA. but I will take some more pics and post soon!!!

• Kathy Gunter Law

It looks like a quilting frame. I think you should take it to an appraiser or if antiques roadshow is ever in your area, head over there.

• Pauliegirl1

No, I dont think its thay?? I thought at first it was to hold a huge book! LOL!! But whats the purpoe of that? I dont think they make books that big? TeHee!! I will keep it open to see what other guesses I get!! I cant think of a way to even TRY to look it up?? Lets just see what happens??

• Not sure anyhow curious to find out! Love learning something new!

• Pauliegirl1

Thanks Naomi....I am VERY curious!!! If I get an answer, for sure?? will keep you posted!!!

• Janerose

maybe send a photo to antiques roadshow

• Grnandbrwn

It sort of looks like a fold-a-way bed except for the 'pegs' sticking up in the middle.

• Grnandbrwn

If you can take a better photo of it, maybe opened, you might be able to find out what it is using Google Images. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnX_FqMlkZo

• Alisa Peavey

My guess would be a weaver or blanket weaving machines. You might want to look very closely and see how old it is. It might be worth something or you could learn a new craft.

• JW

How interesting !!

Looks like a well made piece that is meant to open out in three positions from upright judging by photo 4

Also looks like you have a bit missing as there are two little wooden pegs in the middle of the piece in photo 3

I think what you have here is a rack for airing bedding. Back in the day [no dry cleaners !! ] Spring Cleaning included taking quilts, bedding, pillows, even mattress etc off the beds and airing them outside or on a porch.

The missing bit would have been in three pieces and formed a frame over which bedding could be 'tented' once the sides were opened out flat

You could replace the missing bit by using three wooden curtain poles cut to size

• Pauliegirl1

WOW!!! Everyone has certainly taken an interest in "IT"!! LOL!! one way or another I will find out what it is!! I will take more pics and get the dimensions....maybe that will help!! Thanks to all of you that gave me an opinion!! I just think there is more to it? WHY?? Just soooo curious!!! Maybe I will get rich...HA!!!!