Stacy Davis
Stacy Davis
  • Tutorial Team
  • Fredericksburg, VA

Farmhouse Box

$10

I love farmhouse boxes and they are great to use as a centerpiece or a place corral salt, pepper and napkins. Here is a tutorial on how I make a farmhouse Box and then different ways to customize them. I think this would make an awesome gift. You could even put house numbers on it, as a front step or porch accessory. Really, there are so many different ways to use and customize this simple box, I've only scratched the surface here.

farmhouse box

I used a miter box to make my cuts. The four sides are 1 by 4’s and the bottom is a 1 by 6. My two ends were 5 1/2 inches and the two sides were 17 1/2 inches. The bottom was 15 1/2 inches. This makes a long box. Another good size has sides that are 14 inches and the bottom is 12 inches, the ends stay at 5 1/2. My customized farmhouse boxes were this size. You can play around with different dimensions. The ends are always the width of the bottom piece and the bottom piece is 2 inches smaller than the sides.

farmhouse box

I used my mouse sander to knock off the edges.

farmhouse box

Before you nail and glue, dry fit everything to make sure there aren’t any adjustments that need to be made.

farmhouse box

I love to use the baby wipe technique on wood. It just takes baby wipes and I prefer acrylic paint and rubber gloves.

farmhouse box

It is almost like staining your wood with paint.

farmhouse box

I try not to stain/paint the edges that will be glued.

farmhouse box

I like to hammer the ends on first. Now that the ends are in, it is time for the sides.

farmhouse box

It’s really a fun simple project to make.

farmhouse box

I like to use nails with heads. It helps hold the wood securely while the wood glue dries and I think it adds to the rustic charm.

farmhouse box

Sometimes, I like to add burlap to the ends. To get a straight line when cutting your burlap, pull out a strand and use the empty row as a cutting guide.

farmhouse box

On one, I painted farmhouse on one side and made this patch.for the other side.

farmhouse box

On another, I used garland from the Target Dollar Spot to make a wreath.

farmhouse box

Here is stenciled burlap on some buffalo check fabric.

farmhouse box

Even plain is super cute!

Processing...
Baby Wipe Technique

The best thing about the baby wipe technique is no brushes to clean! Just throw away the used wipes and you are done.

• Brenda
    Yesterday

I’m not sure I understand the baby wipe technique—are you just wiping the wood with baby wipes before you paint the pieces with acrylic paint while wearing gloves?

• Anita
    2 hours ago

I don’t understand why the miter saw. If you don’t miter the ends.

• Val
    31 minutes ago

What a super cute idea, it looks great and is so versatile.