How do I hand paint or overlay an artistic design on a metal toaster?

+5

A friend has asked me to paint or overlay an artistic design on a white metal toaster for her holiday gift. I’m not sure what paint or overlay substance would work on a toaster so that the design doesn’t melt or catch on fire. Suggestions, please. Pic is for example only & not the design to be used.

q how do i hand paint or overlay an artistic design on a metal toaster
  • Laura Cooper Laura Cooper on Nov 30, 2018

That's really beautiful. I've had excellent results with acrylic paint on metal

• Eclipsebigdog Eclipsebigdog on Dec 01, 2018

I know that auto parts stores sell spray cans of engine paint, (heat resistant) . Use a shallow container, like jar lid and spray the paint up close to the lid so that it puddles, then use a brush. Make sure you have sanded the surface of the toaster lightly. You may want to make some stick on stencils so that you can spray the toaster making boarders and backgrounds, shame to not be able to use the spraying capabilities of the cans.

Hope this may help in some way?

• Em Em on Dec 01, 2018

Toasters do not get that hot. Auto store paint is for engines that get super heated. The heating element in a toaster does not touch the sides or it would burn your hands and counter. If in doubt use the tester enamel. Takes a lot longer to dry but is a pretty sure bet for durability.

• Terry Terry on Dec 01, 2018

WOW!

• Mia Mia on Dec 01, 2018

You can find heat resistant paint on Amazon, here's an example of the search results: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=heat+resistant+paint

• Jewellmartin Jewellmartin on Dec 01, 2018

I did some searching around, and I agree. Acrylic paint is the right paint. If the sides of the toaster get hot, it should be rewired or thrown away. Or in DIY terms, repurposed into a napkin holder. The illustration is a good start for the art, but I happen to like the Dee Drummond designs on her electric mixers: colorful, impressionistic flowers and vines. And you can go yellow, red, orange, or blue, green, purple, or another combination. I hope both you and your friend have some fun with the toaster. Best wishes, ☺️

• Deb K Deb K on Dec 01, 2018

Hi Teri, acrylic will work just fine, toasters are designed to not get hot on the exterior, You can sketch your design on first in pencils and use it as a guide to fill in with acrylic paint.