Essential Oil Storage Box Upcycled From Wine Box

$10

I needed a storage box for my essential oils, but I didn't wait to pay a lot. I found a cute blank wood wine box that I thought would fit my bottles really well, so I decided to upcycle it for my oils.

I didn't want my bottles falling over or knocking into each other, so I decided to add dividers. Before I added them, I painted it.

I painted it a light gray with chalk paint. Then I distressed the edges with distress ink on a small foam brush. I inked the edges and then had just a little ink on the brush and brushed it over the box to make it distressed.

I waxed it to seal it after the ink dried.

I used my Silhouette Cameo to die cut a cute saying for the top.

I used balsa wood to make the dividers. We measured the length of the box and cut the balsa wood to the length of the box.

Then we measured the depth of the box and cut small pieces of balsa wood to fit.

My box had two dividers running the length of it, so we marked off to cut for those two lengths of balsa wood so they would interlock.

Then we set the bottles of essential oils on the balsa wood to see how many of the shorter dividers we needed. I originally wanted a divider between each bottle, but once we set the bottles down, we realized that we didn't have enough room with the width of the balsa wood.

So we decide to have three bottles in each section.

Then we cut notches in the balsa wood so the pieces would interlock.

And finally we set them in the box.

We did not glue them in. When the bottles are in there, they won't come out.

Then I cut chalkboard vinyl to add to the inside of the lid. Now I know where each oil is.

The smaller section is where I normally keep my funnel, droppers, and other accessories.

I love how it turned out! It looks so pretty, I don't have to worry about putting it away or hiding it because it looks like a piece of decor on my bookshelf.

Get more tips and tricks on my blog post.

Everything Pretty

1 comment