Front Porch Faux Tile

Last summer, I decided I wanted to give my grungy garage floor a makeover. I "faux tiled" it and it turned out great! This year I decided to do my front porch and add some extra design.

I started by thoroughly cleaning the concrete. Then I rolled on two coats of Kilz paint.

The next day, I rolled on two coats of the color I wanted for my grout. I had to finish the edges with a paint brush.

Once my paint had dried for a couple of days, I laid out my pattern. I had drawn out a sketch beforehand using the measurements of my porch to decide how big my tiles should be and how many "runs" I needed. I used basic 1/2 inch masking tape in my garage but it was too wide for my porch. I found some 1/4 inch tape at a auto parts store. They also had 1/8 inch but I chose the 1/4 inch. This isn't as hard as it looks. I overlapped lots of lines with tape and then cut around my design using a sharp razor blade.

Next comes the fun part! I mixed and matched paint colors I had on hand and blended them by dotting them using a plastic bag. Consistency is very important here.

This is my finished product. I applied two coats of concrete sealer.

This is the rest of the porch. I only did the diamond design in front of my door. I posted my project on Facebook and had several job offers within a few hours!