Corey Tays
Corey Tays
  • Leoma, TN

Front Porch Faux Tile

Last summer, I decided I wanted to give my grungy garage floor a makeover. I "faux tiled" it and it turned out great! This year I decided to do my front porch and add some extra design.

front porch faux tile

I started by thoroughly cleaning the concrete. Then I rolled on two coats of Kilz paint.

front porch faux tile

front porch faux tile, diy, flooring, porches, tile flooring

The next day, I rolled on two coats of the color I wanted for my grout. I had to finish the edges with a paint brush.

Once my paint had dried for a couple of days, I laid out my pattern. I had drawn out a sketch beforehand using the measurements of my porch to decide how big my tiles should be and how many "runs" I needed. I used basic 1/2 inch masking tape in my garage but it was too wide for my porch. I found some 1/4 inch tape at a auto parts store. They also had 1/8 inch but I chose the 1/4 inch. This isn't as hard as it looks. I overlapped lots of lines with tape and then cut around my design using a sharp razor blade.

Next comes the fun part! I mixed and matched paint colors I had on hand and blended them by dotting them using a plastic bag. Consistency is very important here.

This is my finished product. I applied two coats of concrete sealer.

This is the rest of the porch. I only did the diamond design in front of my door. I posted my project on Facebook and had several job offers within a few hours!

• Vontice Hembree

one question, even though you have sealer, how will you keep the latex from bleaching, and fading with UV rays? Concrete stain goes into substrate and permanently becomes part of concrete. what ensures the colors don't flake , fade ? I like the look but Im unsure how latex will hold up under the concrete sealer or over the Kilz for that matter. any thoughts on this, it seems economical.

• Corey Tays

My porch gets no sun. So far it hasn't been an issue. I guess only time will tell

• Corey Tays

It still looks exactly the same as it did when I painted it. It's been a year and a half now

• Mrs P

Absolutely beautiful, love the one in garage too, things like this add value to your house as well. I think you might have found your calling for a new job, thank you for sharing

• Mar19283002

I have a water fountain in my yard that was painted with latex paint on concrete about 20 years ago, it still looks good no fading.
  • Jj

Hi where r u located u sure could use the help n doing this. Going to have knee repair soon

• Dorothy

What type of paint was used?

• Maureen Kloker

So this is painted? Not tiles?

• Cheryl Richards

I've seen your wonderful project a few times, enough to know it's been on there awhile. How is it holding up to traffic? Do you have winter weather where you are and if you do, what impact does that have on it?

• Corey Tays

So far, it has held up wonderfully. I live on the TN/AL line. This winter has been very mild so far. Last winter was cold. But I can't tell any difference in it from now and the day I finished it.

• Laura Swisher

After the kilz. Did you use concrete paint? And what type of sealer -permanent like an epoxy or what

• Corey Tays

No, I just used basic latex. I used a sealer I found at Walmart that is durable enough to be driven on. It was $20/gal

• Brenda P

This is so beautiful. Do you think it will work on concrete that is already sealed?

• Corey Tays

I would think so but I cannot give you an expert opinion.

• April smith holden

Corey, Thank you for the answer to figuring out what I was going to do with our abused screened in room floor. A Holden..lake whitney tx

• Sheila Spencer

I would love to see the garage floor you did before this. I have been trying to decide what to do with mine for a long time. Love this faux tile you did!

• Lisa

What color is your base & what colors did you use for tiles?

• Corey Tays

Generally you need a dark, medium and light. I only bought what i found that was mismatched at Walmart. I used brown, beige and white. The brown on my porch was too dark and it made my final product less red which was a little disappointing to me.

• Catnip4me2

This is by far one of the best DIYs I've seen to give your home some curb appeal. And mine is in desperate need. So I'm clear with the instructions, the green looking lines in the "lay out phase" picture... that's the tape? Did you leave the tape down while painting or stencil around it? Like other readers, I am also slightly concerned about it fading. But our porch only sees about 3 hrs of full sun so hopefully it won't be an issue. Lastly, is the surface slippery? Ours tends to flood a bit during torrential rains that we get occasionally. And I don't want to create a hazard for pets and older people. Thanks for your hard work and great advice!! Keep up the DIY tutorials, WE LOVE THEM!!! Jenna

• Corey Tays

Yes, the green is the tape. I bought it at an auto parts store. That was the only place I could find any narrow enough. I left it on until I completed a tile. I would pull up bits as I went. I didn't want the paint that got on it while I was doing the tile to dry and risk pulling up paint on the tiles

• Corey Tays

I would be hesitant to try it if it floods. Research concrete stains possibly.

• Corey Tays

And I can't speak to the slickness because my porch is covered and doesn't get very wet. I have a mat in front of the door so it's only 1 step for me from the steps to the mat

• Gsn5005114

This is really an impressive makeover.I have an ugly stoop that was once covered by grass carpet.I took that off and what is left is unattractive .Could concrete stain be used instead of paint?

• Corey Tays

I honestly don't know. I have only researched that slightly. I have never experimented with stain. The paint appealed to me more because it can be changed if and when I get tired of it.

• Connie Smith

Do you have any ideas of total cost of this project and dimensions of the porch

• Cni5726809

Love this! What type of paint did you use?

• Carolyn Buckley

When it gets wet, does it get slippy with the sealer as the final coat?

• Corey Tays

I haven't really had any trouble but that has been a concern for me. The sealer is made for garage floors and I would assume they get wet when the car is wet. But I don't have a definitive answer

• Anita Elaine

My family does this kind of faux alot. You can use the gym finish sealants on these projects. It yellows the end result a bit but it allows you to have a gummy durable finish that you can sprinkle lightly with sand between the 2nd and 3rd coats. Fourth coat adds back the gloss but you have traction.

• Pamela Dubberly

Will this hold up in carport to hot tires?

• Corey Tays

I don't park my truck in there so I'm not quite sure. I know the sealer I put on it is made for tires

• Brenda Parry

No, need to use solvent based concrete stain to hold up to hot tire

• Elizabeth Thom

How long will this paint job last with foot traffic and if it wears down in high traffic areas how easy is it to fix?

• Corey Tays

My garage hasn't shown any wear in two years. My front porch doesn't get a lot of traffic since the door is pretty close to my steps but it hasn't shown any wear in a year either.

• Corey Tays

• Katie Nichi

This looks amazing!! How did you use a plastic bag to create distressed paint look? I've looked on YouTube, see quite a few canvas painting ideas, but nothing to blend paint in a bag. Can you point me in the right direction? Thank you.

• Corey Tays

I just wadded it up into a ball. Sort of like a real sponge. Then I just dabbed the bag in some of my paint and then dabbed it onto the floor. Even though it's in a ball, it's not a solid surface so all of the wrinkles in the bag create the look.

• Katie Nichi

Got it, thank you!

• Carol Nickell

I have done that with walls etc. It words great.

• Bro326139

I'm going to try that on my walls going upstairs!

• Emmawilliams1

Is it slip resistant?. We painted a portion {off to the side} of a porch a few years and even did the added sand thing. Even if it didn"t rain and there was moisture in the air, it proved to be slippery...Very pretty to look a, but be cautious...

• Mary Ragan

Emma Williams, did you seal yours, Hun...Corey stated that he used 2 coats of concrete sealer.

• Centsably Creative

you said you used paint that you had on hand....so did you use latex exterior or what type paint?

• Maureen Garver

We painted our cement walkway with plain ole latex exterior paint (leftover from painting the house) and it lasted for YEARS. Hope that helps!

• Tammy Hubbard

What type of paint did you use? It looks amazing.

• Corey Tays

I just used regular latex. Thanks! I am amazed at how well it has held up

• Susan Marie Racine

There is a concrete latex paint made for pool decks that has a gritty sand in it. It needs to go over old cement. Mine has held up very well after 3 years. I also painted over an old cement wall and drew in faux stones (freehand) on top of the base paint, after the base had dried, was much easier than taping off. I tried the taping off but the paint seeped in under the masking tape.
  • Tammy Hughes Mundy

What kind of paint did you use?

• DAM

Did you add sand to the top coat of paint?
    • Corey Tays

No, I didn't. I considered doing something like that because I was worried about it being slick but I was also afraid that adding something like that might reduce the adhesion and weaken the paint. So far I have not had any issues with it being slippery.
    • Dianne Bowers Turner

I added sand to the paint I used at our lake house and regretted it. It became impossible to keep clean.
  • Mary Rupniewski DeVole

What type of tile is the best to use?
    • Cindy Hagemann

This is not tile, it is paint.
    • Michelle Dodson

If people could read, they'd be dangerous.

• Nita

If people were kinder to one another, everyone would be better off. Try a little kindness. You might find that it even makes you feel better!
    • Dpbeee2

That was funny!
  • Ksb7604366

Looks great! What did you use to clean the concrete?
  • Joan Jason

Would you please post a picture and instructions for your 'faux' garage floor? I have a garage floor that would benefit greatly !!!!!!
    • Corey Tays

The process in the garage was the same as the porch. I just made the tiles much larger and didn't make any cool designs. Here is a pic. Its actually a pic of my new lawnmower 😂 It's quite cluttered at the moment so I can't get a better one.
    • Joan Jason

Thanks Corey.... the new lawnmower sitting on your garage floor looks real nice!!!!!
      My garage floor will be put on back-burner until late fall when outside chores slow down.... I will keep your post so I can refer back to it.....again, just love your front porch!!!!
  • Brenda Jacobs

What type of paint did you use? Concrete paint, water base paint, or oil base?

• Hope Alcaraz

You said you did this to your garage also. Was it was that difficult. Could you send me the process for the garage?
    • Corey Tays

I did exactly the same thing in the garage as I did on the porch. I just made much larger tiles.
  • Lok19578598

Is it flat paint or satin finish?
    • Corey Tays

I honestly don't remember. I just bought some mistinted paint that was half price at Walmart.
  • Julie Van Sambeek

What kind of paint did you use for the tile color? Special floor paint exterior house paint?
  • Julie Van Sambeek

• Lauchlan

Is it slippery when wet????
    • Jewellmartin

Since this is paint over concrete, it should only be slippery if your porch gets lots of rain on it. Sometimes that does happen, so I would keep a straw welcome mat to throw down when rain is expected. Best wishes 😇
    • Corey Tays

I haven't had any issues so far. I do keep a mat by the door.
  • Bob

I like the result but can't believe interior latex paint would last very long. Did you seal it?
    • Joye R. Foster

Her instructions say she used two coats of concrete sealer. Hope this helps.
    • Corey Tays

Yes, I used two coats of sealer. And I plan to reseal it again this year. It's been 2 years and it still looks the same today as when I did it.
  • Patti Yantis

Hi Corey, I'm really thinking of doing this to my concrete porch which is about the same size as your and gets very little sun, if any. Now, if I mess up an area, how hard would it be to remove some and do it over? What would I use for doing that? I'm pretty good at being crafty but I do tend to make mistakes now and then because I'm a little impatient and want to see the final project too soon. Also, how long did it take you to complete your porch? I have a couple narrow cracks in mine, so would that be an issue? Thanks for your time and you did an amazing job!
    • Corey Tays

Hi Patti! The good thing about this technique is that it's very hard to mess up. I really don't think you could remove any of it. You would just have to paint over it. But, I suggest practicing on some old wood or cardboard first until you get the technique down. Then everything will flow together. And a bonus is that you don't want the tiles to match anyway so it would be difficult to make a "mistake". I'm rather impatient too so I know what you mean. I probably spent about a week total. Some days there isn't a lot to do like when you put on your Kilz and grout color coats. The taping probably takes the longest. I just had to make myself stop when I started getting tired or found myself getting sloppy. I don't think cracks will be an issue. If anything, it will just cover them up. Good luck! I know you will do great! Send me some pics of your final project!
    • Patti Yantis

Thank you Corey. I appreciate the time you took to answer my questions. Hope I can make mine look as good as yours.
    • Robin

Very sweet of you to get back to this nice lady, Corey!!! Your project turned beautifully......

• Anna

Hello did you use paint or you laid down tiles
    • Patti Yantis

It is paint. Look at the original post for step by step directions and materials. This is an awesome project.
  • Bette Davis

What did u use to clean the concrete?
  • Mary Ann

Can u come to San Antonio. Lol
  • Ivory

fabulous job! Can you help my get my front porch this gorgeous?
  • Lds15640724

What if porch has a large crack.???
    • Kelly

It will not repair the crack but you can fill it with quick crete and screed if off level. This will need time to cure. It will give you a solid base to work on. Just remember to screed, look it up it's simple if you do not know what that is. Might require you to sponge off the excess on top of the existing porch floor but that is simple enough to do.

• Priscilla Williams Roach

Good job I will try it.
  • Georgean Smith

Fantastic yu could start a side business beautiful.

• Corey Tays

Thank you! I have had several offers. I wish I had the time and energy to pursue it.
  • Jetrue Hudson

Is it slippery with snow, or rain
    • Corey Tays

I can only speak to rain because we almost never get any snow. I personally haven't had any issues with it being slippery. I had worried about that. But it's only about 1 step for me to be off the porch
  • Sylvia

Ok so I went thru 294 posts so far and haven't seen the question of how you kept your lines so straight. What did you use? It's a beautiful job!!
    • Dawn Hodson McGuire

Tape.
    • Sylvia

I know that part Bc I can see it. But did you use a laser light level to keep the tape straight or did you just eye ball it??
    • Kari Lang-Costello

He drew out a sketch first, based on the size of his porch. I would use several boards different lengths to make all you lines??
    • Retta Robinson

I did this a few years ago using porch paint for durability. To keep the lines straight I just measured from the edge (four inches in my case) and put a pencil mark. Did this over and over all the way across the porch, then connected all the little marks using a yard stick so that I had one long straight line. This measuring and marking is the hardest part of the project and took a lo-o-ong time. Have to draw out the entire pattern and keep in mind whether the tape is going to be on the left, the right or the center of the line. Hope someone can suggest an easier way.

• Corey Tays

I’m sorry I am just now seeing your question. I used thin masking tape and a ruler. I’m a high school math teacher so I just used some geometry knowledge

• Kristina Jenkin

How long does it last? Because paint can son wear away.
    • Tamara Thomas

She says after painting she used a sealer.

I would assume that will slow down the wear off/flake off process.

• Barb in Texas

Or used concrete stain, if you prefer. Next time you walk into a restaurant, look down at the floor. If it's concrete it's probably stained, too.
    • Retta Robinson

I used porch paint for this project. No sealer. It did not flake or wear off. Eventually it got so dirty I had to paint over it.

• Corey Tays

It’s been a few years now and still looks new! But it doesn’t get any sunlight.

• Amy Ellis

How did you keep the paint from bleeding under the tape? Did you sponge the paint around the tape lines? I have used clear sealant in the past prior to painting along tape line. Jc
    • Al Pietro

He painted the entire slab the color of the grout. Then after the paint dried and the concrete was sealed, he laid out the grout lines and painted the patterns in so there would not be any bleeding of the colors. Soooooo, paint on paint. Then a sealer. Hmmmmm, cheap cost, I too wonder how long before it wears off in the heavy traveled areas.
    • Barb in Texas

That's Frog Tape used, it's made for painting without allowing bleed-under.
  • Debbie Carpenter

What kind paint did u use
  • Peggy Sorey

Oil or latex paint?
  • Txs5325839

This is just beautiful...Its been a while since this was posted. How did it wear? Update pics?

• Corey Tays

Hey! Yes, it’s been 3 or 4 years now. Honestly, it looks exactly the same! I am very happy with it. I just made this pic for you. Please excuse the mess. We had a horrible storm this morning and my crepe myrtle did some shedding. It’s too wet to sweep it.

• Txs5325839

It still looks beautiful! Thank you for the pic! And good luck with the Crepe Myrtles, I have them all along my driveway...they are messy!

• Bre33314497

When it rains it blows through my screened in porch and the carpet stays wet several days what can I do?

• Bonnie Leek

Replace the carpet with ceramic tile.

• Carol

is there any way to close off the bottom portion with acrylic perhaps? to avoid blow in? Bonnie's solution of putting in tile is good. or perhaps Astroturf? or vinyl flooring?

• Toni

This is exactly what I’ve been looking for - what colors did you use?

• Corey Tays

I honestly don’t remember. A light beige, a creamy white and a dark brown

• Ana

You have a video?

• Joanne

I do want to try it but like the first person who commented, I would like to know how it stands up to rain & snow and also foot traffic. Jo

• Judy G

What kind of paint did you use? You say you mixed and matched paint you had on hand. But is this a paint specifically designed for concrete?

• Linda Premo

I have done this on a porch and walkway using concrete paint. It still looked great at 4 years. I moved after that.

• Corey Tays

I just used regular latex. Nothing special.

• Jacqueline Mccune

This is something I will definately try. I do have one question. Is there any texture when you are finished or is there a way to add texture? I am afraid on our porch someone would wind up on their backsides.

• Pamb Kaplan

This is really cute! I'd love to do this in my kitchen on my old lino! Any tips? Recommendations?????

• Angelica Marie

Did the paint make it slippery in rain snow etc

• Molly Perser

What kind of paint did you use?

• Shirl Wilson

I will definitely be trying this. Thanks you did a beautiful job.

• Barbara

My front porch is so miserable looking. The former owners painted it green, then the mailman dropped box of furniture stain and it dripped all over it. I've had it power washed twice to no avail. Masking it off & painting with your idea is it's only salvation! I will add some sand to the paint to prevent slippage (our mail person seems accident prone). This is gorgeous and appears relatively simple if I can get my 'lines' straight & even!