Custom Coat Rack

$40

I wanted to build my own coat rack using a quilt rack, adding boards, finishing and installing hardware. If you don’t have or can’t find a quilt rack you could just use a 52 inch board.

custom coat rack

I began by laying out the materials and getting an idea on size and placement of decal later.

custom coat rack

I decided to use 3 boards, the largest is 52 inches long, the center is 46 inches long and the bottom is 36 inches long. I attached them using liquid nails and a caulk gun.

custom coat rack

I painted the outer 2 boards with silver acrylic chalk paint. Then I painted the center board with blue chalk paint. I brushed the seams lightly to help blend the 2 paint colors.

custom coat rack

Once paint was dry I began by adding dark wax. I brushed it on with chip brush and wiped with clean soft cloth. I let that dry and added some white wax. Then I added some of another shade of blue wax.

custom coat rack

I added the decal and placed it and let dry.

custom coat rack

I added the hooks to the bottom board.

custom coat rack

I brushed on 2 coats of clear wax. I applied the wax lightly over the decal.

custom coat rack

I installed screws in each joint for added support. I let dry and installed standard picture hanging brackets on the back and prepared it for the wall.

custom coat rack

I hung it on the wall using 2 screws, 26 inches apart, to match up with the hardware I had installed on the back.

custom coat rack

Overall I’m happy with how it turned out. It will come in handy when I have guests and perhaps I’ll quit hanging my coat on the back of chairs, etc.

custom coat rack

• Acrylic chalk paint  (Walmart)
  • Wax  (Walmart)
  • 1x6 boards  (Lowe’s)

1 comment