HOW TO MAKE A DIY FAUX BRICK WALL LOOK REAL

$150

Here's how we made a DIY faux brick wall - using brick veneer panels - and made it look pretty darn real...

What a transformation our guest room has had! Above is a Before shot, clearly. An adequate space for guests to sleep - but completely uninspiring. I think it's fair to say it had no character.  

The room has come a long long way. And one of our goals, along with making our guests feel welcome and comfortable, was to add layers of texture and interest to this supremely boring space. We've achieved a lot through our other basement makeover projects: Click here to check them out!

In this case, the plan called for starting with the most difficult part to make sure things looked good. 

We used cut-off pieces from the bookcase backing to cover a duct box. At this point, it was an experiment, but the planning rules still hold: 

Look at the sections you are using and line up the bricks like they would be on a real wall section. 

This means 'half' bricks are ends and should meet 'full' bricks on any outside corners. 

Now for the fun part... Drywall compound like you're partially plastered

Don't skimp on the compound up that middle seam, then drag it out in various random directions to look like an old wall. When complete, you can use your sculpting skills to make the seam bricks look connected or simply obscure everything. It's art!

Lightly sand, prime, finish paint and you're done!

[Psst! You may also like to check out our basement closet turned powder room renovation... You can check it out here!]

Here's how it turned out... Pretty fantastic, am I right?!

For even more before and after photos, and more detailed instructions, head on over to the blog for the full post!

29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
FrugalFamilyTimes.com

• Kellyduck

Different wall? seems to be a door and the ceiling is different. Love the brick and great work but before and after look like two different spaces?

• Kellyduck

I will look - awesome work! Makes everything so warm and inviting!

• Kat

Mobile transformation, wondering wouldn't have bricks of work better your choice of color and stick it on?

• Patty V. Y

Not sure exactly what you mean, but think you are saying wouldn't the individually bought thin slice bricks work better?

I believe there are several reasons why they chose this, I would love to do our backsplace, all behind the stove, and some small aeeas in my kitchen, not even as much as tbeir wall. Cost & Mess

If you don't have a bigger budget is why I have not used them. The cost of those are spendy. The cost of brick, adhesives for behind, grout, grout sealer, tile/brick cutter, spacers, plus all the other little tools needed for different applications. $, $, $, $

The time and mess to do a application's of individual stones is more than likely why they chose this way of brick look application.

Hope I was right in answering what I think you were asking.

• Kat

Mobile transformation, wondering wouldn't half real bricks of work better your choice of color and stick it on?

• Patty V. Y

Exactly, I posted above my take on her comment/question, and then saw you posted below, as there is a double posting from Kat. Think we are on ths same page in our responses.