Asked on Dec 2, 2018

How to clean black mold?

Robyn GarnerMikkiGirlMichelle
+15

Answered

Can someone tell me how to clean black mold? And what is black mold? Should I be concerned seeing this in a few placed in my home? Of course it's ugly and gross, but I'm asking if there is reason to be concerned that maybe something is wrong. In any case, I want to clean it the right way so that it will not come back. So I need to know how to remove black mold.

This is hidden behind the couch, but nevertheless I think it's important to clean it. So I need to know how to get rid of blck mold. Has anyone dealt with this before? What worked for you?

16 answers
  • Dfm
    Dfm
    on Dec 2, 2018

    Half vinager half water, mix in a spray bottle. My basement had a mold issue....found out that bleach would kill the mold, but not the spores that spread the mold. I’ve been in the house 4 yrs now, haven’t delt with any more mold.

  • Fiddledd224
    Fiddledd224
    on Dec 2, 2018

    Brenda...this is one of the rare times I suggest you contact the pros right away. I worked on many homes affected by Superstorm Sandy that had black mold and can tell you it not only can cause deadly disease but it is insidious....even if you think you got it all out so much of the unseen can come back with a vengeance. Please call mold treatment experts....BTW many times this may be covered by your insurance company.

  • Sha
    Sha
    on Dec 2, 2018

    Hi , try putting a cheap vodka in a spray bottle and spray the whole surface and let sit, it sounds strange but it works.....

  • Ann Alt
    Ann Alt
    on Dec 2, 2018

    go to Lowes.. in the paint section they have something you spray on called MOLD CONTROL... it encapsulates the mold and kills it.. but just remember if the conditions are right with moisture and you have drywall that has paper that the mold feeds on, this will resume. Time to remove the old drywall and put in new that is not covered with paper.

  • Pamela
    Pamela
    on Dec 2, 2018

    All the answers above are great ! But I feel you need to find the reason you are getting the mood in the first place ! Mold needs dampness to grow , so check your outside of your house for cracks in brick, foundation, insulate around windows. Sometimes the source can come from within the house from leaking pipes , sinks , tubs, dishwashers washing machines , refrigerator s..... Yes, you need to clean it , but you need to remedy the source so it doesn't come back ! Good luck !!!

  • Shari
    Shari
    on Dec 2, 2018

    This can cause terrible respitory illness. You cannot hide it behind a couch or anywhere else. Can cause serious physical and mental inflamation and worse. You need professional help to destroy it.

  • Kathy D
    Kathy D
    on Dec 2, 2018

    There has to be a leak somewhere where the water or dampness is getting in. And I have used a ton of bleach to kill it but it is really bad to breath in. The key is to keep it dry. If it is coming from the basement get a dehumidifier. Try the vinegar stuff first but I never had any good results from it. There are also different kinds so that may have been the issue. And I tried using the mold inhibitor paint which also did not help in the long run. The house I was working in has a serious mold problem and is near a river so a lot of dampness. Also keep in mind where every you live this has been the wettest year along the east coast! And again today it is raining. So the main thing is the water or dampness and I cannot stress the importance of a dehumidifier and heat in the house.

  • Fiddledd224
    Fiddledd224
    on Dec 2, 2018

    Brenda (it's me again)....even if you "clean" the mold it leaves invisible mold spores behind. You have a LOT of it. PLEASE get someone in to take a look at it. You're dealing with a real health issue here. ❤

  • Heidi Geores
    Heidi Geores
    on Dec 2, 2018

    Black mold can be very harmful. You should contact someone immediately and will probably need to do some investigating in those rooms for leaks because that's a lot of mold. I would get everything out of those rooms and not let anyone sleep in them if they are bedrooms. We cleaned out mold ourselves once because we were desperate, had no money at the time and needed to get rid of it. We had all been sick for about six months and didn't know why until I found it behind some wall paper on a chimney wall in the bedroom. At that point I was relieved to find out why all three of us were so sick and now knew I had to do something about it. We ended up with respirator masks, washing some walls in muriatic acid and some in bleach, removing others...the plaster and lathe completely. Then dry walling, sanding and painting. Of course we had to have someone fix the leak on the roof first and that is were all the money went! Best of luck to you. It took about a month before everyone finally felt better once the mold was gone. Its nothing to fool with.

  • Linda
    Linda
    on Dec 2, 2018

    Sorry to tell you this, you need to remove all the molded sheet rock. Find where the water/ moisture is coming from . You need a licensed contractor ASAP.

  • Meriel
    Meriel
    on Dec 2, 2018

    PEROXIDE WORKS TO KILL MOLD


    • Michelle
      Michelle
      on Dec 2, 2018

      Black mold is dangerous and should be left to the professionals all humans and animals must vacate, I truly hope you take everyone's advice and get out this dangerous unfit home

  • Get everyone out of that house NOW! Especially children, pets and elderly, birds could die and so could you. This is an extremely dangerous situation and you need to educate yourself on the detrimental effects of black mold. This home is uninhabitable in its current state. This is beyond repair - walls need to be opened up and remediated. You need mold remediation experts, they typically will send someone out same day to assess the situation. I can't stress enough how dangerous this is to you and your family. It's also a health code violation. Call someone today! Please!


    https://restorationmasterfinder.com/restoration/what-kills-mold-bleach-vs-vinegar/


    https://www.servicemaster-restoration-cleaning.com/2017/03/30/mold-myths/


    https://www.servicemasterrestore.com/blog/mold-damage/mold-myths-will-vinegar-kill-mold/

  • Lindy
    Lindy
    on Dec 2, 2018

    This is, as some have said, a SERIOUS problem. Mold remediation is a job so seriously harmful that the people who remove the affected areas have to wear protective clothing, masks, and seal the moldy wall boards, etc. in bags. The spores are in the air you breathe and go into your lungs causing serious health issues. You need to stay away from the area and call someone immediately. You will have to leave your home while they are removing and inspecting the areas. Do not attempt to remove it yourself, no amount of anything will permanently get rid of your large area of mold. The only thing to kill it is hydrogen peroxide and that would be in a very tiny area, not like you have. Yes, I do know what I;m talking about as do others who suggested calling a professional. I dealt with this while managing a condo complex and the owner became very ill since he let it go on for months before dealing with it. Hope you heed this advice.

  • Michelle
    Michelle
    on Dec 2, 2018

    Black mold no one including pets should be living in the home, causes breathing issues and a host of other health issues. You must have it professionally taken care contact Service Pro, black mold will spread so if it gets on clothing , furniture , mattress, bedding all that has to be thrown out immediately double bag and thrown out

  • MikkiGirl
    MikkiGirl
    on Dec 3, 2018

    Having dealt with black mold in our basement, I cannot stress the importance of having professionals handle this enough!! The spores travel and could have settled throughout your house! Air quality tests should be done and, if needed, air fogging. It’s expensive but the possible consequences to your health could cost you, your family, pets, etc much more.

  • Robyn Garner
    Robyn Garner
    on Dec 8, 2018

    Please, please vacate your home!!!

    You need the pro's to come in to clean it all out.

Your comment...