Farmhouse Inspired Picture Frame With Free Holiday Print

$2

There's something about a big chunky frame with ornate decorations that always catches my eye. This one was no different the day I was rummaging through a box of frames at a little thrift shop. I grabbed it because it was only $2.

I love going to Pinterest and finding free printables. I normally save them to the board they pertain to, but mostly I use my Generously Free board to hold the freebies. I have so

farmhouse inspired picture frame with free holiday print

This is how the frame looked when I brought it home. It's gold and I like gold frames, but I wanted this one to be more of a white color for what I was going to use it for. I grabbed a bright white paint and an off white paint with my brush and mixed up some chalk paint. Get the details on that recipe  right here.

I carefully removed the glass, cleaned it and set it aside for later.

I always like to use a paper plate for making my mixture of chalk paint, it makes it for the easiest of clean up. I wanted to distress the frame and let the gold show through just a little bit for the end result, so I used a dry brush method to paint the frame. That means using very little paint on the brush and spreading it pretty thin all over the surface.

This is just one light coat. You can still see some of the gold as it is, but I wanted to help it show through a little more.

Before the paint was completely dry, I grabbed a dry paper towel and rubbed pretty firmly on certain spots, especially the ornate pieces to help the gold show through a bit.

To me it makes it look worn and used, or well loved. I call it a farmhouse look which is the look I love to decorate with in our home.

So, shop your thrift stores and use your imagination and before long you have lots of inexpensive decor for your home.

What have you thrifted lately? I'm on a roll with lots of Christmas goodies right now, but on the normal I'm always looking for something to re-purpose.

Thanks so much for looking! :)

DeeDee

• Lorraine

I like the idea will ask if you should put a sealer over the acrylic?

• DeeDee

Hi Lorraine! I did not because I don't mind if it keeps getting more distressed, but you certainly can if you'd like to. I would just use a clear matte faux finish sealer. :)

• Lorraine

Does the acrylic paint need a sealer? and did you have to prime the original frame first to prevent cracking?

• DeeDee

Hi Lorraine! You can seal it if you'd like to. No, I did not prime it first becasue I was actually going for the distressed look. :)