Christmas Ornament Wreath

$10

Raise your hand if the thought of clutter drives you absolutely insane! Lately, I've been on a mission to rid our house of unnecessary clutter, and whenever I come across it, I can't help but go into "trash or donate" mode.

So, when I was cleaning out our storage space a couple of weeks ago and came across a dusty container of unused Christmas bulb ornaments, I knew I had to do something about them. If they'd never been used, what was the point of holding on to them, right? However, rather than not getting my money's worth out of the bulbs and hauling them off to Value Village, I decided to dive into my Pinterest boards to find a project that would put them to good use.

diy easy christmas ornament wreath

Tip: Dollar Tree sells inexpensive wire forms that work perfectly for this type of project.

diy easy christmas ornament wreath

Start by threading pipe cleaners through a bunch of your ornaments. When you've built up a decent arsenal, pull the ornaments against the wire form and twist the pipe cleaners.

diy easy christmas ornament wreath

At this stage, the bulbs will be slipping and sliding all over the place, but the more you add, the less room they'll have to do so.

diy easy christmas ornament wreath

Continue to add bulbs around each section of the wreath form until you can't fit any more on the wire.

With the wreath facing down, use linesman pliers to trim back the excess of pipe cleaner ends.

diy easy christmas ornament wreath

Flip over the wreath and use a hot glue gun to fill in any gaps, and to perfect the overall shape.

When you're happy with how it looks, set your wreath aside and get to work on the festive embellishment!

diy easy christmas ornament wreath

I decided to paint my wooden Christmas tree with black acrylic paint. Once that had dried, I added a simple holiday message with a metallic rose gold marker.

diy easy christmas ornament wreath

Use a few more beads of hot glue to secure the decoration to the front of your wreath, and then add twine, fishing line, or ribbon to the outer wire for hanging.

diy easy christmas ornament wreath

Rather than using an over-the-door hook to display the wreath on our front door, I grabbed a Command Hook and attached it in an upside down position to the back of the door.

diy easy christmas ornament wreath

Well, what do you think? I love how this project turned out, and I'm even happier that we no longer have a giant tube of Christmas bulbs cluttering up our storage space!

Katie Dennison

• Beautiful! I do have 2 questions:

Q #1: Ornaments typically have those little metal caps with hanging loops that come off easily. Can this wreath be hung outdoors?

Q #2: Also, I must have missed the reasoning for this, but why hang the hook upside down? How does that hold the wreath?

• Ms. Bonnie
      32 minutes ago

Beautiful! I know you could make some extra coin selling these! Im kind of a pac rat myself, but enjoy repurposing anything i can get my hands on! Merry Christmas to you and yours from me and mine!

• Claudia Murray
    11 hours ago

Why is the hook upside down?

• Katie Dennison
      10 hours ago

Hi Claudia! Jacqueline is right. I didn't want to put the hook on the outside of the door, so I placed it on the inside. But in order for the twine holding the wreath up to stay put, I had to flip the hook upside down. If I hadn't, the twine would have just slipped right off.

• Terry Johnson
    11 hours ago

Nice! But I'm mystified by the hook being placed upside down. What was your reasoning behind that?

• Katie Dennison
      9 hours ago

Hi Terry! Jacqueline is right. I didn't want to put the hook on the outside of the door, so I placed it on the inside. But in order for the twine holding the wreath up to stay put, I had to flip the hook upside down. If I hadn't, the twine would have just slipped right off.