BrightNest
BrightNest
  • Denver, CO

5 Easy Ways to Keep Your Home Spider Free

Spiders. If that word sends shivers down your spine, you’re not alone. According to a recent BrightNest poll, 85 percent of people Hate spiders with a capital H. But just because the eight-legged arachnids aren’t welcome in your home doesn’t mean they’ll always stay away.
5 easy ways to keep your home spider free, pest control
To keep spiders out of sight and out of mind, try one of these natural deterrents before reaching for the chemical spray.
Here are five chemical-free methods to rid your home of spiders:
1. Essential Oils
Essential oils in scents like eucalyptus and peppermint are basically spiders’ worst enemy, because they find the intense smells overwhelming. Fill up an 8 oz. spray bottle with water and add about 15 drops of the oil of your choice. Spray the solution in doorframes, floorboards, bookshelves and any other small crevices. See ya, spiders!
2. Chestnuts
Believe it or not, chestnuts secrete a chemical that spiders can’t stand, so place chestnuts along your windowsills, under the fridge, in dark cabinets and wherever else you frequently see eight-legged enemies. Tip: This only works if the chestnuts are fresh, so it’s best if you store chestnuts in the fridge. Switch out your chestnuts on a weekly basis.
3. Vinegar
In addition to keeping colors fresh in the laundry and elminating mold, white vinegar is a spider-fighter, too! To fight arachnids, combine water and a dash of white vinegar in a spray bottle. Then, spritz doorframes, windowsills, under cabinets and anywhere else you think spiders could enter your home (like a doggie door).
4. Citrus
Spiders hate citrus: lemons, oranges, limes – you name it. To spread citrus throughout your house, rub orange peels on any surface where spiders could creep around or fill a spray bottle with water and citrus juice for a natural-deterrent spray. For more ways to clean with citrus, read: Power to the Lemon: 10 Amazing Household Uses.
5. Keep It Neat
Spiders love to camp out and spin their webs in cozy crevices. To prevent this, dust often and keep clutter to a minimum, especially in small spaces like cabinets and drawers. Flatten and recycle cardboard boxes and empty paper bags. Use the hose of your vacuum to clean floorboards by running the hose along where the floor meets the wall and along the edges of furniture.
More pest-fighting tips visit the link below.

BrightNest

• Kate

I live in South TX and we have tarantulas! What can I use to get rid of tarantulas naturally?

• Lynn

I have spindly spiders (look like small thin grand-daddy longlegs) in my kitchen and bathroom. How can I get rid of them?

• Kate

I have a problem with daddy long legs spinning webs n just hanging out on my ceiling in the foyer. No matter how often I get rid of them, they come back. What can I do to get rid of them for good?